Scooby Wright III is headed to NFL, forgoes senior season

Alex McIntyre

Arizona junior linebacker Scooby Wright III (33) announces his intent to enter the NFL draft at a press conference after receiving the outstanding defensive player award at the Gildan New Mexico Bowl at University Stadium in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Saturday, Dec. 19.

Following Arizona’s 45-37 defeat of New Mexico in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl, the do-everything junior linebacker, Scooby Wright III, officially declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

“I feel like I’ve accomplished everything I have wanted to in college,” Wright said postgame. “Now is the right time.”

Wright’s past few months have been quite an emotional ride. After winning the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Rotary Lombardi Award and the Chuck Bednarik Award, his sophomore season was surely a success.

“Scooby Wright is a talented guy that loves football,” Arizona football head coach Rich Rod said. “He’s also one of the hardest working football players that I’ve ever had the privilege of coaching. He’s going to do whatever it takes to have success and that’s what he has done at Arizona.”

But his junior season hasn’t gone his way in the slightest — his many injuries almost completely derailed his season. Wright had one last shot to prove his all in the New Mexico Bowl game, and he definitely did not disappoint.

Wright finished the game with 15 total tackles and three sacks.

“I was glad we got the W for my teammates and brothers,” Wright said.

According to NFL.com, Wright projects as a second or third-round draft pick.

“Some NFL team is going to get really lucky when they draft Scooby Wright [and] others will wish they did,” said former UA football alumnus BJ Denker. “Congrats and good luck.”

In the end, Wright thanked everyone who has believed in him since day one, especially the only school to offer him a scholarship — the UA.

“Thanks to Wildcat Nation for the past three years,” Wright said to the crowd. “I’m forever grateful for all of you guys.”