Looks of the week: Wildcats take on the heat

Sam Gross
    Dance freshman Madison Mistone and pre-physiology freshman Emily Gould pose for a photo modeling their tank tops, shorts and yoga pants. With Arizona temperatures rising, it’s time to break out the summer clothing.

Post spring break blues are upon us, meaning it’s time to put away the basic dark colors of our winter wardrobes and replace them with spring and summer styles.

Tucson skips spring and goes straight to summer with temperatures back in the 80s and 90s, bringing back shorts, tank tops, dresses and skirts to campus.

“I am from the University of Alaska at Anchorage visiting my friend, so the weather is very different here,” Sage Allen, a nursing sophomore said. “It’s a little too hot in Arizona, but at home I usually wear leggings and a sweatshirt so this is a nice change. I’m wearing a skirt for the first time since the fall and I love it.”

The visitor sported a white ribbed H&M crop top, an H&M floral circle skirt and navy blue Vans. Allen said her favorite store is Nordstrom because of the variety of different brands.

Dresses are another campus warm weather favorite. Sundresses and dresses that aren’t super tight are popular choices due to the Arizona dry heat.

“I like to chill and relax. I hate clothes that are too tight, but I also hate clothes that are too short,” Natalie Gutierrez, a business freshman said of her T-shirt dress. “I like to buy my summer clothes at Brandy Melville or Anthropologie. [I like] Brandy [Melville] because the looks are laid back and nothing’s extravagant, while [I like] Anthropologie because it’s simple. I like that there’s more detail in their stuff; it makes my outfits come together.”

Gutierrez wore a red boxy t-shirt dress, white Nike socks, maroon Vans, metallic Ray-Ban sunglasses, a Lululemon tote bag, Alex and Ani bracelets and Pandora rings.

Shorts, a hot commodity, are also making a comeback with Tucson’s increasingly hotter temperatures.

“I totally prefer shorts over pants,” Alicia Evard, a junior studying chemistry and studio art, said. “I like to wear a solid colored shirt with some patterned shorts and cute sandals. That has to be my go-to outfit in the morning.”

Evard wore a basic gray v-neck T-shirt, navy striped Forever 21 pants, white Converse sneakers and metallic rose-colored, circular Ray-Ban sunglasses. According to Evard, her favorite store is Forever 21 because of the good prices.

The top looks of this week definitely show that Wildcats are ready for spring. The rule to creating the optimal walking-to-class outfit is wear less has to be “Less is more.” 

Follow Erica Szpylczyn on Twitter.