Eat it: Fresh food from the farm

Gray skies and a few sprinkles didn’t keep vendors from setting up shop last Friday for the weekly Farmer’s Market at Main Gate Square, where health conscious epicures stocked up on fresh produce and specialty goods.

“”I don’t have my normal set up today because of the weather-it was raining when I got here. Generally I have my coffee roaster here with me, and I’m roasting coffee up fresh, selling my beans,”” said Josh Gilliland, who improvised his Adventure Coffee Roasting operation by setting up an impromptu grinding station in the trunk of his car.

No matter the weather, the Farmer’s Market has developed a strong client base of students and local Tucson residents.

“”We have all sorts of different people and all ages come in. Lots of people from the surrounding houses stop by, and we have a lot of recurring customers every week,”” said Caitlin Thorn, an accounting sophomore who works at the market. “”We have all sorts of different vendors, from produce to meat, from information tables about eating healthy. It’s a lot of fun.””

The market runs every Friday from 10am to 2pm, with an assortment of different vendors-not just the typical fruit and vegetable tables associated with other markets: Vendors selling honey, nut butters, organic soaps, jerky, pita chips and hummus often set up on University Avenue to give students a taste of their gourmet offerings.

It’s not unusual for organic foods to be twice the price of traditional produce in grocery stores; but this is not the case at the Farmer’s Market. Anne Duncan of Tubac River House Farms sells her giant eggplant for only $1; and zucchini for $.50 apiece.

“”I bring in a full organic grocery store.”” said Duncan, who supports local farming. “”Everything I bring in is USDA certified organic, so we know that it’s clean, and chemical and pesticide free.””

And as for the rain? No matter, said Duncan with a smile.

“”I’m here every Friday. Rain or shine.””

Monica Stephens stopped by the market, leaving with a bagful of eggplant, squash, garlic, and onions.

“”Most of my produce I buy at farmers markets, and little specialty items like salsa. It’s closer to campus, and in it’s more in my regular transportation pattern than a grocery store. But also, it’s much cheaper access to organic and locally grown goods.””