Woman injured in Aberdeen shooting; airlifted to Harborview

A woman was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries following a shooting early Tuesday in Aberdeen.

According to Capt. John Green with the Aberdeen Police Department, police were called to a house on Arthur Street with reports of multiple gun shots at 1:26 a.m. Tuesday.

They found the 28-year-old woman and she gave the name of the man who shot her, Green said. There were reports of a U-Haul van leaving the scene, he said, and deputies tried to stop the vehicle on Highway 12. The driver jumped from the vehicle and fled into the woods and the vehicle rolled into concrete blocks on the side of the road.

Then, said Green, the 39-year-old suspect called people he knew and told them he was hiding in a shed east of Aberdeen in Grays Harbor County. Those people called police. Area neighbors also reported seeing a man jumping fences. Police found the suspect hiding in the shed.

He was taken into custody on a felony harassment charge out of Seattle and Aberdeen Police are trying to connect him with the shooting. Green said the victim in the shooting was apparently also the victim in the Seattle case.

Green said the suspect was the father of three children who were in the home at the time of the shooting. They were taken into protective care by police.