Police Beat

Distraught man arrested for outstanding warrants

A man was arrested on Feb. 10 at 7:42 p.m. Police responded to the main library to check on the welfare of a man in the area. When they arrived, they made contact with a man who had called UAPD because he had no way of getting home. He said that he could not get hold of his caregiver.

When police arrived, the man was crying and breathing heavily. They asked him to step away from the phone so another person could use it, but the man became upset. He began screaming loudly and hitting himself in the head with his hands. Police secured his hands behind his back with handcuffs to keep him from hitting himself more.

A check of the man’s name showed that he had seven warrants out for his arrest from the Tucson Police Department for failure to appear.

The warrants were confirmed and the man was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for his warrants.

Man allegedly shoplifts calculator

A man was cited and released for shoplifting Feb. 10 at 4:04 p.m.

Police responded to the UofA Bookstore where a man was in custody for shoplifting. When they arrived, they made contact with store security who said that they had seen a man take a calculator, put it in his backpack and walk out of the store.

The man told officers that he did not mean to steal the calculator, but he “”just didn’t think”” as he placed it into his bag.

The man was cited and released on scene. The total cost of the calculator was $4.56.

Two cited on marijuana charges

Two women were cited and released for drug and traffic violations Feb. 11 at 10:25 p.m.

While on patrol, an officer noticed a car run the stop sign on Park Avenue and James E. Rogers Way. The officer stopped the car for the violation. When the officer made contact with the driver, she opened the driver’s door because she said that the window was not working. Immediately the officer smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver told the officer that she did not have a driver’s license because it had been suspended.

The officer asked the women to step out of the vehicle because he could smell marijuana coming from her car and clothing. She told the officer, “”Yes sir, we were smoking some weed in the car earlier.””

The passenger was then asked to step out of the car. She told the officer that she was smoking marijuana in the car with the other woman.

The officer asked if the marijuana was in the car still. The driver said, “”I think just the pipe is in my green and pink purse.”” She then granted the officer permission to search her vehicle.

The officer opened the passenger door and saw a bag on the seat. He asked if he could search it, and the passenger said yes. Inside the bag, there was a small clear baggie of marijuana. The officer also found the purse and located a glass pipe in it that had black residue in the bowl. The driver told the officer that it was her pipe.

The driver was cited and released for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, failure to stop at a stop sign and driving on a suspended license. The passenger was cited and released for possession of marijuana. The car was impounded and the pipe and baggie of marijuana were taken into custody and placed into evidence.

Attempt made to steal three goats

Police responded to a call for an attempted theft Feb. 11 at 3:15 p.m.

When they arrived at the Campbell Farms West, 4101 N. Campbell, they made contact with a woman who said that she found three goats out of their pens at 6:00 a.m. Two of the goats had UA rope leads around their necks.

The woman said that in this area, a suspect would have to climb a fence to get to the goats. None of the goats were injured and no damage was done to the facilities. She had no suspect information. The goats were last seen in their pens at 6:30 p.m. the previous evening.

The woman requested that police begin doing special overnight checks at the farms.

Underage man cited for alcohol possession

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 12 at11:35 p.m.

While on patrol, an officer observed a man leave the Delta Chi fraternity house. The man was walking toward a taxi van in front. He had a 12-ounce can in his hand.

The officer stopped the man as he was getting into the cab. The man was not 21 years old. The can of beer was disposed of on scene.

Yet another MIP

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 11 at 6:06 p.m.

Police responded to the Zona Zoo entrance at McKale stadium during a basketball game. Security had located a bottle of Jack Daniels in a man’s waistband as he tried to enter the game. He was 19 years old.

The man told officers his older brother had given him the alcohol. He was cited, released and denied entrance to the game.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.