Soccer’s DeSaverio makes All-Pac-10 team

Arizona’s soccer team finished its frustrating season Sunday, going winless in its last six games to cap off the year.

But through the murk, a light shines on.

UA sophomore forward Gianna DeSaverio was one of 11 players who earned All-Pacific 10 Conference honors yesterday.

“”One of my teammates text (-messaged) me and said, ‘Congrats,'”” DeSaverio said, “”and then I looked online at our Web site and saw it. I’m really excited. I called my mom and everything.””

Playing in all 20 games during the season, DeSaverio led the Wildcats in goals (six), assists (four), points (16), game-winners (three), shots on goal (22) and shots (56). The only offensive categories she did not lead were shot percentage and shots-on-goal percentage.

“”I feel like it’s my job to do that,”” she said. “”It’s a really good feeling knowing that I helped the team out that much.””

DeSaverio had multigoal games twice this season, scoring Arizona’s two goals in the 2-1 season-opening win against Oakland and then again in the 3-0 win over Cal Poly.

As a freshman in 2005, DeSaverio played in all 22 games, earning one start. Ten of her 16 shot attempts were on goal, and three were netted.

Three other Wildcats’ play stood out during the season, earning each a conference honor.

Sophomore forward London King made the second team, while midfielder Jacqueline Broussard made the All-Freshman Team and junior defender Claire Bodiya received an honorable mention.

“”I think they’re great teammates, and they all deserved it, especially London,”” DeSaverio said. “”She worked her butt off this season.””