Around town

Wednesday, Oct. 14

Mendelssohn Concert. Faculty artists Kristin Dauphinais, mezzo-soprano, and pianist Michael Dauphinais will perform songs by Felix Mendelssohn, including one that translates as “”Witches’ Song”” and another one about Joan of Arc. No word on whether Mendelssohn ever wrote a song about Peppermint Patty. 7:30 p.m. Crowder Hall, School of Music. $5.

MONO. Yes, their name really is in all-caps. But it’s appropriate: This band’s fifth and most recent album was recorded with producer Steve Albini, who records everything as if it’s being written in all-caps. Maserati opens. 8 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $8 in advance; $10 day of show.

Toubab Krewe. This quintet’s brand of African-flavored music is said by Afropop.com to be “”about as good as it gets without buying a plane ticket.”” Key Ingredients of African Soul (that’s a band, not a description) opens. 9:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $12.

Thursday, Oct. 15

Joseph Maples and the Ones That Got Away. And they would have, too, if it hadn’t been for those meddling kids. With Leila Lopez and Jacob Jones. 9 p.m. Red Room at Grill, 100 E. Congress St. Free.

Call to Artists. This is your last day to submit a work for Shooting Souls, an upcoming show related to the All Souls Procession and Day of the Dead. Works should depict the “”phenomena of death.”” Let’s see: pale, ghostlike, incapable of activity in this world — sounds like me during midterms week. Email allsoulsprocession@gmail.com for more information.

Friday, Oct. 16

Author Reading. Poets Alison Deming, Boyer Rickel and Pam Uschuk will read their new works. The reading will be followed by a Q &A session. Please don’t ask how you can get rich and famous by becoming a poet. If there is a way, they probably won’t tell you. 7 p.m. Antigone Books, 411 N. Fourth Ave. Free.

Saturday, Oct. 17

Used Book Sale. Ever wanted to read more about archaeology of the Southwest and Mexico? No? Well, now’s your chance to start. Books start at a buck, with journals going for as low as 25 cents. The sale is sponsored by the Arizona Archaeological and Historical Society. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Arizona State Museum, south building, on campus.

All Souls Procession Benefit Dance Party. Is it just us, or does Hotel Congress have a dance party every week? But hey, we’re not complaining. This party features Flam Chen stilt walkers — who eat fire so you don’t have to — as well as bands and DJ sets starting at 7 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $10 general admission, $8 with costume.

Depedro. According to this celebrated Spanish singer’s MySpace page, his music is “”Tex-Mex border music”” combined with a “”Spanish sense of melody.”” Assuming you can believe anything you read on MySpace, that sounds pretty intriguing. Members of Calexico and other special guests open. 9 p.m. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave. $10.

Sunday, Oct. 18

All Queens Chess Day. Want to be the next Bobby Fischer? Well, don’t. As Wikipedia reminds us, he wasn’t a terribly good role model. If you just want to play some chess, however, this is your place. Also, this is an all-women tournament — so even if you did happen to be Fischer, they wouldn’t let you in. 1 to 4 p.m. Bookmans, 6230 E. Speedway Blvd. Free. E-mail jhoffman@9queens.org for more information.

“”Rebuilding Hope.”” This is a documentary about refugees from South Sudan. Not even we are ruthless enough to make a snide comment about this. Especially because it’d have to involve a reference to Tom Petty’s “”Refugee.””  7 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $8 general admission; $7 for Loft members.

Monday, Oct. 19

Arizona Wind Quintet. Compositions include Lee Hoiby’s Sextet for Piano and Winds. Sadly, it doesn’t sound like they’re going to literally let the wind perform — though it’s fun to think about a hushed audience listening to the wind blow for two hours. Pianist John Milbauer opens. Call 621-1162 or visit arizona.tix.com for tickets. 7 p.m. Holsclaw Hall, 1017 N. Olive Road. $5.

Tuesday, Oct. 20

Jonah Smith. While his name might make him sound like a 19th-century preacher, Smith is actually an indie singer from Syracuse, N.Y. He’s said to sound a little like jazz, a little like “”roots rock”” and a little like country, which makes him sound like one of those 21st century indie singers. All of them. Doors open at 7 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. Free.

Nowhere Man and Whiskey Girl. Not to be confused with Tucson’s own Nowhere Man, this sibling duo hails from Bisbee. Like Bisbee, they’re simple, original and fun; unlike Bisbee, they’re … not in Bisbee. 9:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. No cover.

— compiled by Justyn Dillingham