Congress to host variety of locals

Photo courtesy of Roll Acosta

Club Congress will be the hot spot for local folk and indie rock tonight, with performances by V Lundon and Tell Me Something Good, the Leila Lopez Band and Roll Acosta.

Singer and songwriter Vannessa Lundon has been collaborating with an honors course at the UA to promote herself as a musician and today’s performance will serve as the culmination of the class’s efforts.

“They’ve been extremely wonderful,” Lundon said of the class. “I’m happy to have worked with them.”

Roll Acosta, whose music has been described as folk and “desert pop rock,” will kick off the show, followed by V Lundon and Tell Me Something Good and closing with indie artist Leila Lopez.

Lundon said she will play songs from her latest EP, Mallory’s Missing Camera. She also said she hopes the show will set the mood for the upcoming holiday season.

“I hope people have a great time, get some hustle and bustle in their life, start bringing in those holidays the way we should be,” Lundon said.

The band has been together for about three and a half years, Lundon said, and she’s looking forward to what’s in store for them in the future, adding that she will begin working on her next EP after the concert. Lundon said the class has motivated her to take charge of her musical career.

The course was designed by music adjunct instructor Brian Moon with the goal of promoting local artists. The choice to promote Lundon, he said, came from the message in her songs.

“I chose Vannessa because there is a brooding quality to her music that I find very compelling,” Moon said. “It sucks you in. You always want to know the story to the song.”

After the semester-long assignments have been completed and the deadlines cleared, the class will finally get the chance to see the culmination of their work come to life on the stage. Gabriel Acosta, a sophomore studying philosophy, politics, economics and law, is enrolled in Moon’s class and was tasked to write and produce music for Lundon.

“I think the group dynamic in writing a song is different,” Acosta said. “There is no right answer when writing a song, it’s very subjective. It’s like writing a novel.”

The show aims to highlight local talent and give attendees a sense of the musical community that exists in Tucson.

“This [show is] a chance for us to come together,” Moon said. “What I’m looking for is the shared musical experience with the class. Music is dynamic and it exists in a moment. If we’re all together at the same time in that moment, it’s pretty powerful.”

Brenton Woodward, a senior studying creative writing and English, said he’s nervous and excited to finally see the song he worked on be performed live.

“There comes a point when you have to let it go out into the world … and that’s always a bit frightening, but if people get any sort of enjoyment out of it then it was worth it.”

Follow Casey Knox @Knox_Casey