Allonzo Trier feels he’s a great fit for the New York Knicks

David Skinner
New York Knicks guard Allonzo Trier smiles during pregame warmups before a Summer League matchup on July 7, 2018 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nev.

LAS VEGAS — Allonzo Trier says he is looking forward to one day getting a chance to play in Madison Square Garden as a New York Knick. He’s certainly got a ways to go until that happens but in his first Las Vegas Summer League game, Trier made his first statement as to why he feels he belongs in the Big Apple.

Earning the start as a shooting guard, Trier had a 15-point debut as well as six rebounds and four assists in 31 minutes. Trier didn’t have a flashy scoring outburst, only hitting five of his 12 shots and went 0-3 from 3-point range, but he was able to show off his aggressiveness and stayed alert the majority of the time on defense. 

Throughout the pre-draft process in June, Trier felt most comfortable when he worked out for the Knicks, so he welcomed the opportunity to sign a two-way deal after going undrafted. 

“We really thought I was gonna be the pick at No. 36,” Trier said. “Then a guy like Mitchell Robinson falls to 36 and the priority for the team was big first, so they went with him. Totally understandable.”

The Knicks were out of draft picks after that point but signed Trier less than an hour after the draft concluded.

“Coach (David Fizdale) was really high on me and it was just a great staff… so we though it gonna be a great place for me to come in and start my journey to the NBA,” Trier said. 

One aspect the former UA guard enjoys about Fizdale’s system is his ability to play to his player’s strengths. For Trier, that’s spacing and his ability to play fast. 

Arizona's Allonzo Trier pushes past UCLA's Aaron Holiday in the second half of the Arizona-UCLA Semifinal game at the 2018 Pac-12 Tournament on Friday, March 9 in T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev.
Arizona’s Allonzo Trier pushes past UCLA’s Aaron Holiday in the second half of the Arizona-UCLA Semifinal game at the 2018 Pac-12 Tournament on Friday, March 9 in T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev.

“Coach Fiz (Fizdale) said he wanted to turn me loose and let me be myself,” Trier said. “It fits my game a lot more, gives me more room to operate.”

The 6-foot-5 guard even got to show off his point guard skills, dishing out passes to open teammates, including one in transition to this year’s No. 9 overall pick Kevin Knox that ended in a dunk for the stretch four from Kentucky. 

It may be awhile before that happens at the Garden, but as for his chances at making the team roster, Trier is optimistic. 

“I’m very excited about the opportunity to sign a two-way contract with the Knicks, I feel like I’m in a great place and I think I have a real chance to make the roster,” Trier said.

Follow Alec White on Twitter