Police Beat

Garbage sifting woman arrested for trespassing

A University of Arizona Police Department officer spotted a woman sifting through a garbage pile next to a dumpster in the parking lot of the Sigma Pi fraternity house on June 19 at 1:22 a.m.

The officer made contact with the woman, who identified herself to the officer. The officer recognized the woman from previous encounters with her.

When the officer ran a background check of the woman, it revealed that she had an active exclusionary order for UA property. The officer arrested the woman and placed her in handcuffs.

She was then transported to Pima County Jail, where it was later discovered that she was wanted on an outstanding warrant on charges of failing to appear for a previous criminal trespassing charge.

Real speeding, fake license

A UAPD officer on routine patrol spotted a white Chevrolet Impala that was 14 mph over the 35 mph speed limit on June 19 at 10:40 p.m.

The officer initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle and made contact with the driver, asking to see his driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance. While the driver was removing his license from his wallet, the officer noticed that the driver had another license in his wallet, and the officer asked to examine it.

The officer noticed that the suspicious license listed the driver as three years older than he actually was. The driver admitted that the license was a “”fake I.D.”” and told the officer that he had gotten it from “”some guy at Pima Community College.””

The officer cited the man on charges of speeding and possession of a fake identification card, confiscated the false license and released the subject at the scene.

Don’t drink and drive … and speed

Two UAPD officers observed a green Jeep SUV traveling on Broadway Boulevard, at a high rate of speed, on June 21 at 2:23 a.m.

The officers paced the vehicle and determined that the driver was going over 50 mph, well above the posted 30 mph limit. The officers initiated a traffic stop and upon making contact with the driver, noticed the odor of intoxicants coming from inside the car.

The officer asked the man for his driver’s license, proof of registration and proof of insurance. The driver gave the officers his license and told the officers that the car did not belong to him. The car belonged to an occupant in the car who was sitting on the lap of another occupant who was in the passenger seat.

The officers removed the keys from the vehicle’s ignition and asked the driver to step out. Field sobriety tests revealed that the driver was under the influence.

The vehicle’s owner was given the keys to the car, and she and the remaining passengers were released to a cab. The driver was transported to the UAPD station.

Breathalyzer tests revealed that the driver’s blood alcohol content levels were 0.158 and 0.139.

He was cited on charges of driving under the influence, DUI at or above BAC of .08, Extreme DUI at or above BAC of .15 and speeding.

He was released at the station after officers arranged for a cab.

Pair cited for smoking pot at Wilco concert

UAPD responded to Centennial Hall at 10:05 p.m. on June 18. An employee had called police and complained that an unknown person or persons were smoking marijuana at the Wilco concert.

The employee led police to the lower level of section 400, where other patrons pointed out two individuals to police.

The two suspects, a man and a woman, were asked by police to step into the lobby to talk. The pair complied, and as they walked by, officers noticed the smell of marijuana coming from their clothing.

Police told the two suspects that they were suspected of using marijuana and asked if they had been smoking any that evening. The male suspect replied that the two had smoked “”one joint.”” Police asked if either of the two had any more marijuana on them, to which the female suspect replied that she did.

She opened up a green wallet from which she pulled a single marijuana cigarette. The cigarette was confiscated, and the two were issued citations on charges of possession of marijuana and were released at the scene.