Women’s golf in Tempe for Invite

It isn’t out of the ordinary for Alison Walshe to step up for the No. 10 Arizona women’s golf team. But in last year’s PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, it wasn’t Walshe who stared in the tournament, but rather current sophomore Adriana Zwanck.

Zwanck, who is ranked No. 52 individually, carded a 6-under 210 in last year’s event to claim the individual tournament title while the Wildcats finished in tenth place out of the competing 16 teams.

“”She could have easily shot a 65 or a 66 that round,”” Allen said. “”That last round was one of the better rounds I have seen from anybody on this team since I have been here.””

In this year’s event there are 17 teams participating – nine of which are ranked – including No. 2 ASU, No. 4 Pepperdine, No. 6 USC, No. 7 Vanderbilt, and No.8 Oklahoma State.

With the Wildcats possessing the ability to drain birdies on a regular basis, Walshe said she is confident in her team’s ability to shoot a solid game, but also recognized the importance of being able to stay consistent.

“”In the last tournament we had some low rounds and some high rounds every day,”” said Walshe, who holds a 72.81 stroke average. “”I think if we are able to just focus and play consistent golf in this tournament, then we have a chance.””