Ducks shut out Khalil Tate, Arizona offense to beat the Wildcats 48-28

Heather Newberry
Arizona’s Kylan Wilborn (14) and Dereck Boles (99) walk off the field during the UA-Oregon State game on Nov. 11 at Arizona Stadium.

Oregon football became bowl eligible with a 48-28 win over the Arizona Wildcats on Saturday Nov. 18 in Eugene, Oregon. For the first time this season since taking over, Khalil Tate ended the game with less than 100 rushing yards. 

Arizona, however, was on the board first with an 18-yard run from Nick Wilson with 7:41 left in the 1st quarter. Oregon responded, Tony Brooks-James and Royce Freeman set up a 40-yard run by Herbert to tie the game with 5:20 to go. 

Oregon then started their drive at the 41-yard line, which Freeman topped off with a touchdown. Freeman would go on to score three more times, setting the school’s record for most touchdown in Oregon history, 62 career touchdowns. 

The game was chippy with multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on both teams. Some keeping drives alive for the other.

The Wildcats battled back in the second quarter after trailing 14-7 and took the lead 21-14, it was the last time they would hold a lead in the game. 

Oregon scored once more in the second quarter, leaving the Wildcats trailing into the second half. 

The Wildcats scored once in the second half, and the defense gave up 24 points after getting decimated on the defensive line by injury. Defensive tackle Dereck Boles was down in the first quarter but got up on his own power. Later in the fourth he and lineman Luca Bruno were down. Bruno walked off the field with the trainer and Boles, who was seen not putting any weight on his right leg when walking off, was seen on the sidelines with a boot.

The Wildcats appeared to have a chance when Zach Green scored and put the wildcats back within one possession, 35-28, but the Wildcats couldn’t stop Freeman. 

Arizona ended the third quarter with 251 yards of total offense compared to the Ducks’ 450. Tate’s lowest rushing yards in the previous six games was 137, at the end of the third he only had 25 yards. 

The Wildcats struggled to the move the ball in the fourth and were continuously forced to punt. Arizona was able to stop Oregon on third and goal, forcing the Ducks to kick a field goal. The clock was ticking for Arizona and with eight minutes left in the game, the Wildcats trailed 48-28.  

Oregon’s win put the Wildcats at 7-4 for the season. Arizona will look to rebound next week against rival ASU. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter