Bras are so last year

Exposed bra. No bra. These two fashion faux pas have actually transitioned into fashion trends on the UA campus.

The traditional assumption that your bra should be the generic underwire version and completely hidden has been replaced by a slew of options from exposed bandeaus to lace bralettes peeking through semi-sheer tops.

And there are females who are opting for the riskiest option — skipping the bra all together. Are the fashionistas on campus alone in their daring attempts to redefine the bra? Well, according to an article in the September issue of Harper’s Bazaar, celebrities and socialites are going completely braless this fall. Furthermore, bra alternatives (such as the bandeau and bralette) are being praised by numerous fashion blogs all over the web.

The real question is … are these trends trashy or revolutionary? Exposed bras can be high fashion à la Fendi and Alexander Wang in their spring 2010 ready-to-wear collections. Considering the quality of these designs and their textile choices, I don’t think anyone can call their ensembles trashy.

And off the runway in the “”real world”” you can definitely find cute, affordable bra alternatives. For example, American Apparel on University Boulevard has dozens of stretch bandeaus and crossback bralettes in every shade and pattern you can imagine. Experiment without over exposing yourself, and I think you will find this trend liberating, not tasteless.

Now let’s discuss bralessness. Harper’s Bazaar lays out a few guidelines by stating, “”The breasts cannot be fake, they can’t be pancakey, and the nipples can’t go off in different directions like Marty Feldman’s eyes.”” In my opinion, as long as it is not visibly obvious that you aren’t wearing a bra, then you’re good to go. So if your ta-tas would look better with a little extra coverage or boost, be sensible and wear a bra.

All in all, this trend speaks to the evolution of women’s clothing in the sense that utility is no longer the deciding factor when building a wardrobe. Nowadays, one’s style is a reflection of confidence, comfort and more. So ladies, get out there and experiment with what makes you look and feel beautiful. And gents — you have been warned that the bra hook is no longer your only enemy. The crossback spandex strap may prove to be a bit of a challenge.