BODYTRAFFIC pushes the limits of contemporary dance

BODYTRAFFIC
    Dancers in the production “Once Again, Before You Go” choregoraphed by Victor Quijada. BODYTRAFFIC performances feature innovative contemporary dance.

Contemporary dance company known as BODYTRAFFIC, will be performing this Friday at 8 p.m. in the Centennial Hall Auditorium. Lillian Barbeito and Tina Finkelman Berkett founded BODYTRAFFIC in 2007, and since then the company has been recognized as one of the most the most influential dance organizations around the country. Their reputation grew as a result of their high quality work in the form of modern dance as well as their outreach to private and public organizations. Not only have they performed in front of sold-out audiences at theaters across North America, but have also established educational and outreach programs aimed at providing opportunities for future generations

BODYTRAFFIC works with aspiring dancers of all ages, levels, as well as various demographics in order to help them develop a critical understanding of the connection between their physical bodies and dancing. According to the company’s website, “the outstanding teachers and members of BODYTRAFFIC offer technique improvisation, composition, repertory and a combination of activities”. In addition BODYTRAFFIC implements the use of improvisation and structured choreographic activities to further communicate through dance.

“They are a young, fresh, and enthusiastic team that dedicates their time and energy to modern dancing as well as contemporary dancing” said Susan O. Holden, Marketing Manager at UA presents. “BODYTRAFFIC became a huge factor in helping to establish not just contemporary dancing in general, but dancing in Los Angeles, an area that was not well known for having a dance environment”. Like many other groups throughout the nation, BODYTRAFFIC’s work is primarily comprised of a style known as “contemporary dance” which focuses on connecting the mind and body through fluid movement. Combining several dance genres such as modern, jazz, as well as lyrical, contemporary dance puts focus on alignment, oppositional movement and systematic breathing.

Developed during the mid-twentieth century, contemporary dancing has grown to become one of the most dominant forms of dance throughout the United States and many parts of Europe. Its roots can be traced back to the 1950s when Merce Cunningham, an American dancer and choreographer, began to develop ideas that went against the established conceptions of modern dance. Some of his ideas included composing in space without a goal, and thereby moving away from figurative or emotional references. This created abstraction solely from movement as an expression, and developed an independence between dance and music.

In relation to contemporary dancing, BODYTRAFFIC has established itself as one of the most entertaining and aspiring groups for dance enthusiasts. When asked why non-dance enthusiasts should consider attending this event Holden said “because they’re fun, energetic, and the way they incorporate their athletic abilities into their dancing is extremely amazing. It’s appealing even to those that are not familiar with their work as well as those that do not consider themselves dance enthusiasts.”

For those interested in attending this event, tickets can be purchased online at uapresents.org or in person at Centennial Hall. BODYTRAFFIC performs at Centennial Hall this Friday at 8:00 p.m.

Follow Ernesto Fierro on Twitter.