Police beat: Nov. 14

Criminal speedster races to class

A UA student was arrested on charges of criminal speeding and released near Campbell Avenue and Seventh Street at 10:55 a.m. on Nov. 7. The student was stopped after a University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed a red vehicle driving at high speeds weaving northbound through traffic.

The officer clocked the car’s speed at 62 mph in a 35 mph zone. The officer followed the woman’s vehicle for several blocks before stopping her.

The woman, driving a red Ford Fusion, was identified with an Arizona driver’s license, and told the officer she was sorry for driving fast, but was doing so to get to class. Two other individuals accompanied the woman in her vehicle, and when the officer informed the driver she was under arrest for criminal speeding she replied she’d thought the speed limit was 45 mph. She then added that she’d only been driving that fast for several seconds.

The driver was cited and released at the scene for charges of criminal speeding.

Hazy cause of smudge and smoke

A UAPD officer went to the Yavapai Residence Hall in response to a believed arson at 3:10 p.m. on Nov. 7. Upon arrival, the officer was led to damage above a stairwell that appeared to have been caused by smoke soot. The smoke hadn’t melted or worn off the paint, but contained smudges creating the appearance that an individual had unsuccessfully attempted to clean it.

The director said the damage had been spotted by a building facilities worker at 8 a.m. and believed that the damage occurred between 12 a.m. and then.

There are currently no suspects or witness for the crime, but photos were taken and submitted for evidence.

Frat member down two wheels

A $250.00 bicycle was stolen from the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. on Nov. 6, according to the owner of the bike. A UAPD officer spoke to the man, who said he’d secured his bike with a U-lock through the frame and front wheel on the south side of the house. The man stated that in the 30-minute period he’d provided, his bike had been stolen.

The student described the bicycle as a white street bike and while not registered with Parking and Transportation Services, was able to provide a serial number. The owner was unaware of the manufacturer and the model of the bike, but did complete a victim’s rights form.