Residents scared after death

At least one student has moved out of Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall and others have expressed shock and dismay following Wednesday’s stabbing that left one student dead and another arrested.

“”One student has moved out but I haven’t heard of any other official moves,”” said Johnny Cruz, director of UA media relations, yesterday afternoon.

Still, the death has left some students sleeping elsewhere.

“”I saw students walking back into the dorm at 10 a.m. with sleeping bags like they had slept somewhere else,”” said Aneeka Bergstrand, Graham-Greenlee desk assistant.

Residents of Graham-Greenlee said the incident has made them slightly uneasy.

“”What could bring someone to do that? I’ve never lived anywhere where something like this has happened so close to me,”” said Jonathan Shadley, a pre-med sophomore. “”It gives me a little bit of an uneasy feeling.””

Elena Fernandez, a pre-nursing sophomore and Graham-Greenlee resident, said: “”I was shocked. I wouldn’t think that could happen between two people who are living together.

“”We’re supposed to be helping each other,”” she added.

Eddie Tracy, a freshman business major and resident of Graham-Greenlee, said the killing left him hoping that this will not be a recurring incident.

“”It’s pretty weird around here knowing that something like that could happen where you live,”” Tracy said. “”I’m hoping that it’s just an isolated incident, that something like that can’t happen again.””

Despite the tragedy, some said they felt confident in the UA’s response.

“”The UA did a great job,”” Fernandez said. “”There’s no one to blame except for the two girls involved in the incident.””

Although the stabbing has stirred controversy and conversation around campus, many students said they were shocked, but did not feel that their safety was threatened.

“”The more astonishing thing is the fact that (the UA) had two deaths in such a short time,”” said Bo Barber, a biology freshman and Graham-Greenlee resident.

“”It’s terrifying, but I don’t think there’s anything really for us to worry about,”” said Sara Guzzo, a pre-pharmacy freshman who was visiting a friend at Graham-Greenlee.

While many students felt that the incident wasn’t a reflection of overall campus safety, some acknowledged that it’s difficult not to be at least reminded of wider acts of violence on campus.

“”I figure (student safety) could be a lot worse than it actually is,”” said Jonathan Kin, a molecular and cellular biology senior. “”I don’t think we would ever have an incident like Columbine or Virginia Tech.””

Similarly, some students said they felt little immediate impact.

“”Other than having to check out yesterday, it really didn’t affect me school-wise,”” said Charlie Munoz, a pre-pharmacy freshman. “”It’s unfortunate, but I’m doing all right. I still feel safe.””

Mark Obenauf, a marketing sophomore, said living off-campus makes him feel safer.

“”I feel completely safe because I live off-campus,”” Obenauf said. “”I feel like (people who live on-campus) are more unsafe because of that.””

Situations such as this could happen anywhere, said Patrick Kinnier, a civil engineering sophomore.

“”It’s just part of life,”” he said.

Lauren Henderson, a psychology sophomore, said she agrees.

“”When you get that many people together, there’s bound to be problems,”” Henderson said. “”I don’t think there’s anything anyone could have done to stop it.””