Mowatt named Pac-10 pitcher of the week

Taryne Mowatt
    Taryne Mowatt

softball notes

After throwing her first career no-hitter as well as her first perfect game in the Judi Garman Classic last weekend, sophomore pitcher Taryne Mowatt was named the Pacific 10 Conference Pitcher of the Week yesterday.

But she was once again overshadowed by senior ace Alicia Hollowell (14-1), who may be out for several weeks, according to a press release, after taking a line drive off her head in No. 1 Arizona’s 1-0 loss to No. 4 Texas Sunday.

Senior pitcher Leslie Wolfe (0-0) is expected to pitch in her spot this weekend, marking her first appearance of the year. Last year Wolfe went 6-2 with a 1.64 ERA, and she is 14-4 with a 2.38 career ERA in 48 appearances.

“”Right now Alicia is day-by-day,”” Arizona head coach Mike Candrea said. “”She’s a tough kid. I’m sure she will be in the circle as soon as she can.””

Arizona (26-3) also lost junior center fielder Caitlin Lowe for an estimated four to six weeks. Lowe suffered a glove hand injury sliding into first base in the sixth inning but was still able to finish the game.

“”It’s always disappointing to lose (to Texas),”” Candrea said. “”But under the circumstances, I thought we played well. The only bad part was losing two players.””

In her final appearance of the tournament, Mowatt (12-2) was called upon in relief against the Longhorns after Hollowell’s injury.

“”Taryne has been throwing well for us,”” Candrea said. “”The bad part is losing Hollowell, but the good part is that Taryne is throwing well. I’m sure she will be able to step up and take care of things for us.””

Mowatt suffered the heartbreaking loss, but for the majority of her outing she cruised in dominant fashion, giving up only one run on two hits. She was one strike away from getting through a ninth-inning jam when Texas sophomore first baseman Rachael Cook hit a game-winning single.

Mowatt was dominant in all three of her outings in the tournament, which included her no-hitter Thursday against Nevada-Las Vegas and her perfect game Saturday against Cal State-Northridge. Mowatt became only the third pitcher in Arizona history to toss a perfect game, joining Hollowell and former pitcher Susie Parra.

After striking out 28 of the 37 batters she faced in the two games, Mowatt won her first pitcher of the week award of her career. It is the third time this season a Wildcat pitcher has earned the honor, with both others won by Hollowell.

“”It feels amazing,”” Mowatt said. “”It’s really exciting since there are so many great pitchers in the Pac-10, and every weekend they all go out there and try to do their best, so to be recognized this week is really exciting.””

“”I didn’t really have time to think about going into the game,”” Mowatt said. “”Right when Alicia got hit, I had to warm up really quickly. I was a little nervous at first, but then I settled down after the first few pitches.

“”Texas is a really good team, but it was really frustrating losing to them again because we know we can beat them.””