Just the Fashion Facts

“”I really like blazer jackets and I don’t get to wear them a lot because it’s so hot,”” said undeclared freshman Jessica De Milt.

This Levis cropped cotton blazer, which De Milt said is probably a hand-me-down from her sister, is a nice update to the classic jean jacket and is just as versatile.

De Milt creates a trendy urban look with a black skirt and leggings with a layered look on top – in short, a Parisian chic outfit that is just as cool as can be.

Cropped jackets are great, but proportion is key. Make sure sleeves are full length, otherwise the jacket will just look like it shrunk in the dryer. Although De Milt made her outfit work by showing some leg, a pant would have elongated the look.

The double-breasted pea coat that anthropology sophomore David Kwon is seen wearing here is fabulous for a number of reasons.

For one, due to the coat not being overly heavy, it is that perfect piece for Tucson’s mild winters.

Secondly, the piece evokes a military-like aesthetic; a hot trend for the moment.

A unisex item for sure, women can pair the coat with skinny jeans and flats to sport around town.

Kwon, a seemingly trendy kind of guy, proves that not being matchy-matchy can look cool with his green army cap and black and white checkered Vans. As we move into winter, he plans on wearing his coat with his knock-off Burberry scarf.

“”Winter is definitely my favorite time of year for clothes,”” Kwon said. “”It’s just fun.””

The white skull crosses on this jacket play up what would otherwise be a plain-jane black zip-up and perfect the punk look studio arts senior Claire Corcoran has got goin’ on here. Unfortunately, getting your hands on a replica is highly unlikely; she purchased the piece at a thrift store in San Francisco.

“”I went there over the summer and it was freezing, so I got a jacket,”” Corcoran said. “”Now it is almost cold enough to wear here. Plus the classrooms are super AC’d.””

If you find yourself longing for something like this, however, a black hoodie with a similar motif can be found on the Forever 21 Web site.

Along with the jacket, Corcoran hopes to find “”cool leggings and socks”” to help her keep warm as temperatures begin to drop.

From looking on the shoe company Ugg Australia’s Web site, the word Ugg does not seem to stand for anything but – as many have probably heard tossed aroundð – “”ugly.””

OK, that is a little harsh; the look and shape of these boots aren’t half-bad. The tall black ones, like pre-communication freshman Emily Malchicoff is seen wearing, can look sleek when worn at full length over jeans.

Along with Juicy velour sweatsuits, Uggs were a big hit in late 2003 and into 2004. People even wore them together. Since then, the number of shearling boots seems to have dwindled, but every so often a pair like Malchicoff’s can be spotted around campus.

The sheepskin-lined boots seem a bit extreme for an afternoon of approximately 80 degrees, but if you are insistent on covering up your footsies, Uggs seem to be the way to go. And if you do not feel like paying $140 for the real deal, the knock-offs are sold at almost any major department store.

– photos by Alan Fullmer