Tucson tastes its first In-N-Out burger

Hundreds of people waited hours in line yesterday to be one of the first to have an In-N-Out burger made in Tucson.

UA students and the Tucson community came out in droves to taste and savor what many believe is the “”best hamburger”” ever created at the opening of Tucson’s first In-N-Out Burger, 3711 E. Broadway Blvd.

“”We have been looking forward to this for a long time now, and we are looking forward to taking care of everyone in Tucson,”” said Andy Castaneda, manager of the California-based hamburger chain.

People began lining up at 2 a.m., said Ray Gonzalez, division manager for In-N-Out. About 14 people were already at the door before 6 a.m.

At about noon, the line going into the store had moved into the adjacent parking lot, and the drive-through lane wove in and out of the El Con Mall parking lot.

Marcy Vance, a speech and hearing sciences junior, and Libby Jansen, a regional development junior, arrived at the restaurant around 11 a.m., and received their cheeseburgers and fries at about 1 p.m.

“”It’s kind of annoying to have to wait in line, but it is so worth it,”” Vance said. “”We kind of expected it.””

Jansen had ditched class just to get a taste of an In-N-Out burger, and after waiting in line, she savored her first bite.

“”It’s kind of
    annoying to have to wait in line, but it is so worth it.””

– Marcy Vance,
    speech and hearing sciences junior

“”It’s so good,”” Jansen said. “”I kind of don’t want to give my friend the burger that I got her.””

Jansen wasn’t the only UA student who left campus for a burger. Jamie Johnson, a psychology senior, couldn’t wait for after class to get in line.

“”Their hamburgers are absolutely amazing,”” Johnson said. “”I love their secret sauce and their homemade fries.””

The Tucson community also showed up in full force for the grand opening.

Allen Teagle, a Tucson resident, was hired at the first In-N-Out Burger at Baldwin Park, Calif., in 1951 and said he has been waiting for an In-N-Out in Tucson. Harry and Esther Snyder founded In-N-Out Burger in 1948. The company is still owned and operated by the Snyder family, according to the In-N-Out Web site.

“”It’s a life-long deal with us,”” Teagle said. “”My wife and I are good friends with Esther and Harry and we know the family – our kids went to school with their kids.

“”I have children in three different states, and when they come to visit we would drive out to Chandler just for a burger.””

Teagle said he still remembers working for In-N-Out before he had to leave for the Navy.

“”We had four-hour shifts, made 50 cents an hour and got a free hamburger,”” Teagle said.

As a way to provide the fastest service possible, about 50 experienced employees were brought in from In-N-Out restaurants in California, Nevada and Arizona to help 25 new Tucson hires with the opening, Gonzalez said.

Accommodations are being provided for the 50 visiting employees, who will be phased out as Tucson employees are trained and new employees are hired to handle the large number of customers, Gonzalez said.

Tricia Fitch, an art education sophomore at Pima Community College and a former UA student, is one of the 25 new Tucson employees and applied because of how the restaurant treats its employees.

“”They have a lot of good benefits and they are really good with the way they schedule you around school,”” Fitch said.

Castaneda has worked for In-N-Out for 11 years and said he will be looking out for UA students as he starts hiring again in the next few weeks.

“”I have heard a lot about the U of A, and I will definitely be looking out for any Wildcat,”” Castaneda said.