Him & Her: Date-worthy outfits

Amy+Johnson%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AA+Little+Black+Dress+and+a+slight+pop+of+color+is+flirty+and+fun+for+a+traditional+date.+Bring+a+cardigan+for+when+the+night+gets+cooler.+
    Amy Johnson
    Amy Johnson/ The Daily Wildcat A Little Black Dress and a slight pop of color is flirty and fun for a traditional date. Bring a cardigan for when the night gets cooler.

Everyone knows the old adage: You only have one opportunity to make a first impression. Decoding the dating world is one thing, but selecting the appropriate outfit for a specific date is a whole other story.

Daytime coffee date

If the date is casual, you should be too. For this, stick to floral prints or neutral tones. Don’t try anything too trendy that could deter your potential partner. By the same token, don’t be too casual: This isn’t a study session at Starbucks with your chemistry group.

For guys, keep a piece on hand as your go-to for occasions like this — something versatile and effortless.

“One go-to item that every man should own that is functional for a date is either a black or white button-down shirt,” said Derek Ong, a retail and consumer sciences senior and style guru for the website College Fashionista. “I say black and white just because they match with pretty much anything, but also can be dressed up or down.”

Having a go-to in your closet, such as a button-down or casual chambray, is as important as owning a classic pair of khakis or basic slacks. A simple chambray thrown over a white V-neck is suitable for almost any occasion.

Concert or festival

In the middle ground between traditional and daytime dates, concerts and festivals give you some leeway while still presenting the chance to be flirty. In this case, wear what you would normally wear to dinner with friends. If you’re going to be stuck in the outfit all night, it should be practical. Concerts call for comfortable and fuss-free pieces like a little black dress.

“If you wanted any sort of basic dress, I would say just a black dress,” said Grace Herr, a media arts junior and assistant manager at Grand Central on University Boulevard. “You can dress it up or dress it down, depending on the place where you’re going, and I think that’s why they’re so good.”

What a LBD is for girls, a black V-neck is for guys. A simple T-shirt and dark-wash jeans work just fine.

Traditional date

Quite possibly the toughest situation to dress for, traditional dates call for outfits equal parts eye-catching and easy.

For girls, use this opportunity to play up your feminine side. Stick to flirty fabrics such as lace or silk and don’t try to wear anything too bulky or thick. The last thing you want to be worrying about on a date is if the romper you’re wearing is giving you a mom butt.

Herr said a skirt and combat boots, while comfortable, will go a long way.

“You’re not trying too hard; you can still be girly and fun with a skirt, but have that tomboy aspect with the combat boots,” she said. “It kind of makes you feel more at home because you can be yourself.”

The same simple rule applies to guys.

“The one thing that I tell anyone when they ask for fashion advice is to wear something that is your sense of style and comfortable,” Ong said. “I truly believe that if you are uncomfortable in what you are wearing, you’ll keep thinking about that instead of your surroundings.”