Aqueduct washes away Death Cab comparisons

David Terrys dance-rock one-man band, Aqueduct, aims to please with synthesizers and drums. Terry plays Club Congress on Monday night with Annuals and local group Music Video.
    David Terry’s dance-rock one-man band, Aqueduct, aims to please with synthesizers and drums. Terry plays Club Congress on Monday night with Annuals and local group Music Video.

Aqueduct’s music is often compared to the northwestern indie rock of Death Cab for Cutie, but if you ask David Terry what his music sounds like, don’t expect much more than “”Aqueduct is good music.””

Aqueduct is Terry’s one-man band, known for its experimental yet catchy pop. In addition to being highly respected by his peers, Terry is signed with the prominent Seattle label Barsuk Records, former home of the now-famous Death Cab.

Many credit Death Cab frontman Ben Gibbard with discovering Aqueduct, but that might not be the case. Terry says he knows Gibbard’s other famous group, The Postal Service, enjoyed his first self-released record while on tour, but that’s about it.

“”I don’t even know if they showed it to Barsuk,”” Terry said. “”The first time I met Ben Gibbard, he basically said ‘good luck’ about getting a record deal with them.””

If these connections weren’t enough already, his music is also often compared to the two groups.

“”I just kind of giggle and laugh,”” Terry said, referring to the associations.

Comparisons aside, Aqueduct has much more to offer.

Or Give Me Death, Terry’s new album, shows him going in a slightly different direction than before. Instead of using the large amount of drum machines Aqueduct is known for, Terry worked with more real drums and even a real-life drummer.

“”I felt a little more free to work with other people,”” he said. “”But it’s still very much a home-recorded affair.””

As the writing process progressed, the album evolved into a collection of observations based on

Aqueduct’s Favorites
    Favorite album: “”Eazy-Duz-It”” by Eazy-E
    Favorite movie: “”Rushmore””
    Favorite city to play music: The small ones
    Favorite food: Mexican

events experienced by Terry and his friends.

“”I try to take small slice of life things and write about them,”” he explained. “”We weren’t really trying to make a concept record, but we sort of went down that path.””

While Terry’s perceptions of the world dominate the record, it is still full of Aqueduct’s trademark accessible yet experimental pop. Cheerful, uplifting sounds are even found on songs with subject matter that is, as he puts it, “”so damn heavy.””

“”I always aim to write really catchy songs,”” Terry said.

Aqueduct in its live form involves Terry performing with a full band and electronic backing tracks.

“”The electronic stuff makes an easy foundation for a live show,”” he said. “”It’s not feasible yet to have a stage show with 12 people, so we condense it down.””

Beyond the technical natures of the performance, it’s all about the energy and having a good time. Terry said he and his band love what they’re doing and want to have as much fun as possible.

“”The songs on the new record get into the epic category,”” he said. “”We’re trying to bring a stadium rock show into a small club.””

Fellow high-energy indie rockers Annuals are currently touring with Aqueduct, and Terry hopes they can join forces to create an amazing experience.

“”We should slay the crowd dead every night with our big shows,”” he joked.

Aqueduct is performing live Monday night at Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. Annuals and Music Video are opening for the all-ages show. Tickets are $10 and doors open at 6:30 p.m.