Students to grill pres for breakfast

Students wanting to ask President Robert Shelton about anything from school issues to the one thing he would bring to a deserted island may get their chance during a presidential breakfast next week.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona is inviting 10 students to attend the President’s Breakfast with Shelton on March 7 from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.

The breakfast is a way for students to talk about issues and questions they have about the direction the university isheading, said Becca Rodl, President’s Breakfast co-organizer and an Arizona Students’ Association board member.

“”The university president is a very busy person, and this is one time where students can meet with the president in a casual ‘get to know you’ setting,”” said Erin Hertzog, president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

Students will get to make their concerns known, while Shelton, for his part, will have a chance to learn more about the students.

“”It is a great opportunity for me,”” Shelton said. “”One of the great pleasures of the job is getting to know the students.””

Students who want to go to the breakfast should pick up an application in the ASUA offices and turn it in by 5 p.m. on Friday at the ASUA front desk.

The application asks students questions ranging from describing the extent of their involvement at the UA to coming up with a creative question to ask Shelton.

Rodl said that they are looking for a diverse group of students who have creative questions and are involved in a critical issue regarding the university.

Danielle Salazar, President’s Breakfast co-organizer and ASUA academic affairs director, said they are looking for anyone who wants to talk to Shelton about where he wants the university to go and where he sees the university in the future.

“”I hope to do more listening that talking,”” Shelton said. “”I want them to tell me what’s going on and what their ideas are for how the University of Arizona can reach their home community.””

The President’s Breakfast is a long-standing tradition between ASUA and past university presidents and has been around since before former president Peter Likins’ term, Hertzog said.

Michael Marshall, former director of university relations, has organized the event in the past and said that the breakfast has a relaxed atmosphere for both students and Shelton to have a personable conversation.

“”President Shelton takes students’ concerns very seriously and he is very thoughtful,”” Marshall said. “”Sometimes he doesn’t even know the answer to students’ questions, but he is happy to discuss it.””

Hertzog said the discussions and conversations between students and the president could range from personal questions to highly emotional issues that get debated.

“”It’s a productive and professional event,”” Marshall said. “”But Shelton is a funny guy and he balances a serious conversation with a level of comfort.””

Though discussing issues is important, Shelton is also looking forward to breakfast with the students. He asks for just one thing.

“”How about a big, fat cinnamon roll?”” he said.