“Portland, Ore., based band expands from a solo project”

There is nothing Krist Krueger won’t do in the name of music. In addition to writing, recording and performing music for his band Southerly, the musician takes on the role of engineer in the studio, manages his own record label and books emerging artists.

Southerly just recently became a full band, rather than Krueger’s one-man project, which he started in 2003. This summer when the band embarks on tour to support its new album, Storyteller and The Gossip Columnist, new additions Robert Bartleson, Ryan Heise and Casey Montgomery will bring their musical talents to the stage.

“”It will be really nice to have more instrumentation,”” Krueger said.

The album is conceptual, following the path of his previous release in 2004, Best Dressed and Expressionless, and includes a full orchestra and horn arrangements. Often his songs stray from the time-honored verse-chorus structure.

While writing the new album, Krueger was inspired by his desire to not have obligations so far in advance, after having toured for three years.

“”I toured full-time, primarily solo, and toward the end I had gotten to a point where I needed a break,”” he said.

Krueger credits The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson as some of his biggest influences growing up. Family members, some musicians themselves, also promoted a musical environment.

Krueger said he enjoys being involved with the entire process of creating an album.

“”It’s good to finally find out what the songs sound like and if the final product sounds the same as I hear it in my head,”” Krueger said.

As for touring and performing live, Krueger said he likes the experience of connecting with people through music. He also appreciates the creative outlet of performing his music in new places.

“”It’s cool going out and seeing the people who are interested,”” Krueger said. “”I do also hope they receive lots of records from the merch(andise) table.””

Catch Southerly on Sunday at Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. Southerly performs at 9:45 p.m., followed by The Holy Rolling Empire (formerly The Crowd) and The Provocative Whites. Cover is $5 for the 21-and-over show.