Hi Fi Kitchen brings new nightlife venue

Rebecca Marie Sasnett
    Rebecca Marie Sasnett / Daily Wildcat Hi Fi, a restaurant by day and a club by night, had its grand opening Thrusday evening in downtown. There are only two Hi Fi restaurant’s in Arizona.

Tucson is welcoming a new restaurant and nightlife hotspot, Hi Fi Kitchen & Cocktails. In its convenient downtown location, directly across from the historic Hotel Congress, Hi Fi will offer its guests a graffiti-inspired, music-centric spot with a full menu and cocktail list. The second location, following the Scottsdale restaurant and bar, is a member of the Valley-based Evening Entertainment Group and owned and operated by Diane and Les Corieri and Dean Slover.

The venue offers an outdoor-indoor dining experience with a modern spin on the dining arrangement using cozy booths, community tables and lounge furniture to accommodate all guests. Hi Fi Kitchen & Cocktails has a chameleon effect, using rollaway windows to transform the restaurant from brunch and lunch decor during the day into a lively, high-energy environment for its late night eatery and lounge.

”The dress code during the day is casual, and at night, we like to keep the same code as the other clubs around Tucson: dress to impress,” said Rick Cano, general manager. “The comfort food is to make kids feel less homesick and to go along with the retro theme we have going. The tables are also a great way to come out to the club. They run at the same price as clubs around Tucson and have a two-bottle minimum.”

The menu offers from-scratch comfort foods like chef-crafted salads, sandwiches and burgers with an exquisite late-night menu including out-of-the-ordinary Reuben sandwiches on pretzel buns and meatballs served as sliders or in a sizzling skillet. Hi Fi Kitchen & Cocktails offers a new spin on milkshakes for adults, including its infamous 10 types of custom vanilla soft serve shakes. The S’more shake, made up of marshmallow vodka, graham cracker crumbles, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and a marshmallow, is bound to have any adult jumping for joy after one sip.

Once you set foot into the restaurant, you leave Tucson and enter a musical world. The decor represents that as well; along the interior is a wall of speakers to set off the graffiti-covered dome located above the bar. As you walk further into this alternate universe, the walls made entirely of windows roll up to create more space for nighttime activities. Hi Fi has more of a lounge ambiance where you can relax with friends, but that quickly changes once the restaurant transforms into a full-blown nightclub.

Les Corieri said Tucson’s college-town vibe made it the best host city for this retro hot spot.

“I have friends who live in the area, and I wanted to test the idea before I take it further, like Texas and California,” he said.

“I’ve been working in the business since 1975, and I chose Tucson because it is an up-and-coming town with the university atmosphere.”
    Hi Fi Kitchen & Cocktails is now open to the public and its hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.

@CamilleAnne7