Police Beat

An electrical exit sign was found damaged at the Main Gate Parking Garage, 815 E. Second St., Monday.

Upon arrival, an officer spoke with a man who told him he had found the electrical exit sign on the fifth-level northwest stairwell hanging by only wires.

The plastic clip attaching the sign to a metal frame had been broken, and the sign shorted out.

The man did not know when the damage had occurred.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A pedestrian was hit by a car on the corner of North Mountain Avenue and East First Street on Monday.

The car was waiting for a break in traffic going southbound on North Mountain Avenue from East Speedway Boulevard. The driver said when he did not see any more cars he made the left turn onto North Mountain Avenue and never saw the pedestrian in the
    crosswalk before hitting him.

The pedestrian had a cut under his right eyelid and a small cut below his right eye socket. He was taken to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave.

When an officer met with the victim at UMC, the victim said he observed the car stop at the stop sign at First and Mountain and thought the driver saw him.

When he started to cross the street in the crosswalk, the vehicle turned on to Mountain, sped up and hit him.

A witness to the accident said she heard a sound and looked around to see the man roll off the hood of the car to the ground.

The driver was cited for failure to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia Sunday.

An officer was off duty and stopped at a red light at East Speedway Boulevard when he saw a man in a blue Lexus smoking what appeared to be heroin.

The man was holding a sheet of aluminum foil with a black substance on it approximately three inches from his face. He was holding a lighter to ignite the underside of the foil and cook the black substance on top.

The officer contacted the Tucson Police Department to report what he saw and was told an officer would be sent to the area.

The officer observed as the man parked his car at Pima Community College’s downtown campus, 1255 N. Stone Ave. When the man stepped out of the vehicle, the officer approached him and told him to remain in his car.

When the man asked what for, the officer told him what he had previously observed. The officer told him to remain in his car until a uniformed police officer arrived.

The officer could smell a strong odor of burnt heroin coming from the man’s car.

The man looked nervous and pale, and his pupils were extremely dilated. He said he wanted to talk to his lawyer, and the officer let him make a phone call while they waited.

The officer searched the man’s car and found marijuana and paraphernalia but no obvious traces of heroin.

The man was cited and released at the scene.

The aluminum foil was sent to a lab to be tested for heroin. If results are positive, further felony charges may occur.

An officer found a shattered window at McClelland Hall, 1130 E. Helen St., Sunday.

The window was on the north side of the main lobby. On the outside of the damaged window, the officer found five golf ball-sized rocks.

The building has double-pane windows, and only the outer window was damaged.

The officer spoke to some students who said he noticed the shattered window earlier that day when they had gone into the building to study.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

An officer responded to 1515 N. Campbell Ave. on Friday after learning of an intoxicated woman.

When he arrived, he found the woman lying in the fetal position on her bed. Her room smelled of alcohol and saturated vomit. There was vomit on the floor and in the trash can, both covered by paper towels.

The woman’s two friends said they found her passed out in her doorway, and when they woke her up she would “”go in and out of consciousness and she vomited ten times,”” according to reports.

The officer tried to wake the girl by shaking her knee, but she did not respond. The officer requested paramedics, who said she showed signs of alcohol impairment and needed to be transported to University Medical Center.

When the officer went to UMC, he found the woman crying and speaking to her mother via telephone.

When she spoke with the officer she told him she had been arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol a year ago in Scottsdale.

She admitted to having consumed multiple beers and shots of hard alcohol with friends.

She was cited for being a minor with spiritous liquor in the body and released.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.