“UA Foundation pres. marks sixth month securing donations, scholarships”

Six months after taking office, the UA Foundation’s new president has restructured his organization in addition to tightening relationships with departments across campus, such as the College of Law and the College of Medicine.

Tomorrow marks Jim Moore’s sixth month as president of the UA Foundation, a nonprofit corporation that raises funds to benefit the UA. Moore said much of that time has been spent securing scholarships for students and finding resources for laboratories and buildings.

The UA Foundation will aid in fundraising for the expansion and renovation of the College of Law and the creation of the new William H. Rehnquist Center on the Constitutional Structures of Government, said Vicki Fleischer, assistant dean for external relations in the College of Law.

To meet the $21 million goal for the funding of the Rehnquist Center, the Foundation must raise $2 million more, with the groundbreaking slated for May.

The Rehnquist Center will be part of the law building and act as a think tank on constitutional and law issues, Fleischer said. Additionally, jurors and law academics will come in to provide seminars and discussions.

Moore’s recent restructuring efforts within the foundation include last week’s appointment of Mark Harlan, vice president for central development, who will head a variety of programs, including scholarships and the creation of life estates.

Previously these departments were individually managed, and by appointing a vice president, Moore said he hopes the foundation can become more centralized.

Moore also appointed two new positions in the College of Medicine: the director of development for the UA College of Medicine in Phoenix and the senior director of development for major gifts, according to a College of Medicine newsletter.

“”The College of Medicine has consistently ranked in the top five fundraising units at the university even without a specific College of Medicine development officer,”” Joiner wrote in a newsletter from the Dean’s Office.

The UA Foundation, which participated in an eight-year program called Campaign Arizona, has helped raise more than a $1 billion in support of various departments at the UA.

“”Ninety-nine percent of the gifts that are made to the U of A are restricted and given specifically to colleges at the donor’s request,”” said Moore. “”So the money we raise does not typically provide the U of A with the resources to pay their bills.””

Provost George Davis said he thinks Moore is looking to aid the specific monetary needs of the UA’s departments.

“”This university cannot run only on state and federal funding, and we must have a major amount of private funding,”” Davis said.

Moore said the transition from working with retired President Peter Likins to President Robert Shelton has been smooth because both presidents have similar agendas.

“”I think that you will see that President Shelton will be equally committed in being a champion for the need to raise more money,”” Moore said.

Rodney Campbell, director of communications for the UA Foundation, said Moore is energetic and focused, with a passion for increasing student involvement with the UA Foundation.

The UA Foundation elicits donations through their telephone outreach program, which is almost entirely employed by students, Moore said.

“”It’s a terrific experience for a student who needs a good job on campus,”” Moore said. “”We call often in the evenings, working around a student’s schedule, and I’ve even had students get internships and job offers through their employment (with the UA Foundation).””

Moore said he has tried to build upon the success of former UA Foundation president Richard Imwalle and hopes to enhance services to the campus community.

“”It’s a great sense of gratification to know that people are excited about what we are doing and what we can bring to the table, and that’s really exciting for me,”” Moore said.