MTV’s ‘Girl Code’ Carly Aquilino visits UA for one-night stand

A comedian who admits to faking her own death to get out of a gym membership will be visiting the Student Union Memorial Center’s Grand Ballroom tonight to share her quirky humor.

Carly Aquilino is a stand-up comedian who appears regularly on MTV’s Girl Code, which MTV’s website describes as “a strong and smart female-driven comedy series” that openly discusses the wonders and woes of womanhood. The entire show is put on by females and consists of comedy revolving around sisterhood.

Aquilino’s main objective, according to Adam Caballero, a deaf studies sophomore, is “to entertain her guests and make sure they are having a good time.” Caballero, the novelties director for the Wildcat Events Board, said Aquilino will serve as a distraction from papers, lectures and tests for one night. Because the main focus of the night is to give students time to relax and put school in the back of their minds, the main audience for the event is expected to mostly be UA students. 

Aquilino is known across the country by her bright red hair.

Has fun filming for #spotify today for girlcode! Thank you @petalspeacocks for this awesome shirt!

A photo posted by carlyaquilino (@carlyaquilino) on

“I’ve had this hair color since I was 18 years old,” Aquilino said in an interview with Her Campus. “I was a shampoo girl at a hair salon and I was messing around with colors all the time. I eventually tried red and I loved it, so I stuck with it.” Her red hair has now become a trademark of sorts.

A native of New York, Aquilino has performed her stand-up at various clubs around the city. She’s also been featured on Sirius XM radio.

Her humor tends to be anecdotal and random, which can appeal to a social media generation.

The event tonight is being held by the Wildcat Events Board, a student-run organization providing educational, entertaining and thought-provoking events for the university community. In past months, it has put on the Think Pink fashion show, Campus MovieFest and an evening with To Write Love on Her Arms. The organization consists of five committees: activities, arts, concerts, novelties and speakers. Each committee is responsible for bringing different types of events to campus; the speakers and novelties committees organized Aquilino’s event.

“I love Carly,” said Annie Nguyen, a freshman studying nutritional sciences and Spanish, who said she’s excited for the visit. “I can’t wait to hear her speak because on ‘Girl Code,’ she’s hilarious.”

Aquilino will be speaking today at 7 p.m at the SUMC Grand Ballroom. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m., and the show is free to the general public.

_______________

Follow Chelsea Cook on Twitter.