Tech in critical condition following elevator accident

The Facilities Management employee who was dragged down two floors by an elevator in the Modern Languages building Tuesday was identified yesterday and remains in critical condition at University Medical Center.

Wynn V. Bohn, 51, has worked for 18 years as an elevator mechanic at the UA, said Chris Kopach, assistant director of Facilities Management.

As of noon yesterday, Bohn was in critical condition at UMC, meaning he had unstable vital signs outside the normal limits and could possibly be unconscious, said Loretta McKenzie, a hospital spokeswoman.

Although critical condition is the most serious designation a person can have, McKenzie said “”many people survive critical condition; it’s not a death sentence at all.””

UA spokesman George Humphrey said Bohn’s family gave him permission to release Bohn’s name and condition after some news outlets reported he had already been released from the hospital.

“”We’re all hoping he gets better, but it’s obviously a very serious condition,”” Humphrey said.

Bohn’s injuries took place when he and another technician were performing routine maintenance on an elevator on the fifth floor. Bohn somehow became caught between the elevator car and the wall of the shaft when the elevator began moving and dragged him down two floors.

Kopach said this is the first incident of its type in over 30 years and he insists the UA’s elevators are safe.

The Arizona Occupational Safety and Health Administration will file its own official report as soon as they are done reviewing the incident.