Game time: Students welcome Super Bowl fun

This Sunday, UA students will take advantage of numerous family parties and drink specials in celebration of the Super Bowl matchup between the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Brian Wells said he plans to attend his parents’ seventh annual Super Bowl party, an ongoing family tradition, to celebrate this yearly event.

Although Wells said he is not really looking forward to it, one of the highlights of the party includes betting on what the half-time performers will be wearing.

“”If you don’t like football, it’s kind of a boring party,”” the music junior said.

Mandy Misle, a pre-business freshman, said she will join her father’s long-standing tradition of flying to Las Vegas to watch the game this year.

“”We’re going to watch the game on the big screen and order room service,”” the Steelers fan said.

Erika Bielke, an undeclared freshman, said her plans won’t take her far from campus because she plans to go to her friend’s apartment party … but she won’t be going for the football.

“”I’m just going to eat a bunch of food and watch people get drunk,”” Bielke said.

Pre-business freshman Megan Cook said she’ll attend a social at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity Sunday, but like many other students, she’s not that concerned about who wins the football game.

“”I’m totally not a sports fan,”” Cook said. “”I’m there to socialize.””

Some student hotspots around campus will be closed Sunday, while others will be offering food and drink specials.

Dirtbag’s, 1800 E. Speedway Blvd., East Coast Super Subs, 187 N. Park Ave. and Gentle Ben’s Brewing Co., 865 E. University Blvd., will not be open Sunday.

Bobby Duffek, co-manager of No Anchovies, 870 E. University Blvd., said $1 drafts and $1 cheese pizza slices will be offered from the game’s start until its end.

Duffek said although the restaurant usually sees more take-out orders than patrons dining in on Super Bowl Sunday, the game will be playing on two new 36-inch plasma screens for anyone who’s interested.

Frog and Firkin, 874 E. University Blvd., usually has a quiet, less crowded atmosphere on Super Bowl Sunday, according to General Manager Jonathan Graham.

“”We’re not a big sports bar draw,”” Graham said. “”I’d bill it as a quieter place.””

However, Graham said Frog and Firkin can offer one thing that many other restaurants and bars can’t – a good seat to watch the game.