Staff Picks

Washington at Arizona

Last season’s game against Washington was a prime example of the highs and lows a football team goes through. Coming off of a high, a 52-14 spanking of UCLA, the Wildcats came in overconfident and were pummeled 38-14. The Huskies had a 200-yard rusher in James Sims, a quarterback who had two touchdown runs in Isaiah Stanback and scored on a 69-yard Hail Mary at the end of the first half. It was like being in Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift after starring in Fast and the Furious. It was that bad. This year, the Wildcats won’t underestimate the Stanback-led Huskies and will come out with a convincing ‘W.’

Arizona 28 Washington 14

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor

Where had you heard this before? Fresh off a stellar defensive outing, Arizona’s offense needs to kick it into gear. The same thing that has been true from day one for the Cats rings true tomorrow, as “”Ill Will”” and the bunch will need to put some points up in order for Arizona to pull this one out. Look for them to do just that, with an offensive explosion – at least by Arizona’s standards.

Arizona 24, Washington 17

Ryan Casey
    assistant sports editor

Despite the recent sophomore-slumping, Tui-trouble, (apologies about all the alliterations), Arizona is going to win this game thanks to Professor USC. Last week’s game taught the Wildcats many lessons that will give them an edge on the Huskies, who face the Trojans next week. Holding USC to only three points at the half and 20 total overshadows the fact that UW outnumbers UA in nearly all statistics. Let’s hope the Wildcats have learned from their weak running game too.

Arizona 23, Washington 17

Lance Madden
    sports writer

No. 14 Oregon at ASU

Great decision by Dirk Koetter to go with his main boy Rudy Carpenter. “”Rudy is carrying the ball too low,”” Koetter said. “”When he scrambles, he is dropping the ball out of his left hand. He is throwing off his back foot.”” Apparently, Carpenter is trying to mimic Jake Plummer in a Broncos uniform this year, and it’s not looking good. The Ducks are rested after a bye week, and their No. 1-ranked Pacific 10 Conference offense will take advantage of a tired ASU defense, which was shredded last week at California.

Oregon 42 ASU 35

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor

Oregon’s just flashy. Whether it’s the metal plates on their shoulder pads or their neon yellow jerseys, they set the trend of how not to look on a college football field. All this, of course, is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with how well they play. But at least they’ll look horrific in victory, right? I’ll bet Dirk Koetter’s wishing for a second chance with Sam Keller right about now.

Oregon 35, Arizona State 24

Ryan Casey
    assistant sports editor

After Cal dropped ASU like a bad habit last week, 49-21, the then-No. 22 Scum Devils were also dropped from the top 25 rankings. The Ducks have an unfair advantage: They beat ASU 31-17 last time they were in the desert to face them, they are well rested from a bye week, and they have the referees on their side. Listen for the victorious quacks, not…whatever sound a Sun Devil makes.

Oregon 34, ASU 21

Lance Madden
    sports writer

No. 1 Ohio State at No. 13 Iowa

You may think a home game against No .6 Michigan will be the Buckeyes toughest game this year, but as Lee Corso says, “”Not so fast my friend.”” The Hawkeyes have a solid offensive tandem of quarterback Drew Tate and running back Albert Young as well as the No. 2 scoring defense in the Big Ten Conference. Not on Iowa’s side though is its record in games against No. 1s: 0-7-1. So they’re due, right? Not so fast. Ohio State in a squeeker.

Ohio State 17 Iowa 14

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor

Any team that’s led by a quarterback sporting No. 5 has the edge in my book. I don’t care if Ohio State just took down Texas, and is the undisputed No. 1 team in the nation – heck, they could have just pasted the Pittsburgh Steelers for all I care – so long as Drew Tate wears No. 5, Iowa will win. Mark my words. Or don’t.

Iowa 55, Ohio State 5

Ryan Casey
    assistant sports editor

This is the game of the week, hands down. Not because two undefeated teams are going heads up, but because it features the Buckeyes. Offensively, the two teams are evenly matched, but OSU’s running back Antonio Pittman – who has collected a ridiculous 450 yards on 71 carries – must be added to the equation. Watch for yet another 100 plus-yard game from him. There is a good reason why OSU is ranked No. 1 in the nation.

OSU 28, Iowa 26

Lance Madden
    sports writer