Power Saturdays

Tucson nightclub Zen Rock aims to charge up attendees’ weekends with Power Saturdays, a weekly night of Latin and reggae music, not to mention its fair share of discounted liquor.

The event is hosted by Powermix Events, a company created by local nightclub veteran DJ Soo.

“The basic idea of Power Saturdays is to have the ultimate party — the ultimate experience,” Soo said.

Soo, Tequila DJ and DJ Z provide the soundtrack for the night, playing Latin, reggae and karaoke music, which Soo said attracts a lot of people because of the music’s variety and intensity.

“They love salsa; they love Shakira and Pitbull,” he said. “[The music] is a really good way to get to know a lot of cool people in town who are really open-minded.”

Soo added that the DJs line the booths with sparklers, launch confetti cannons throughout the night, pass out rave foam sticks and have stripper poles so the crowd doesn’t get bored with the same old club scene.

“We give out balloons; we give out glow sticks,” he said. “Every single night is a party. We give people 110 percent of us, and give them that one party that they’re going to be like, ‘Oh, man, we had such a good time.’”

Cierra Laub, the marketing director of Sinergy Entertainment Group, that coordinates the event, said it usually sells out. The venue holds up to 850 people on the top floor alone, she added.

Performing in front of this many people is an exhilarating experience for a DJ, Soo said.

“It’s really awesome to be up there and look at everybody and … to have them feel that vibe that we create of a party atmosphere,” he said. “I can honestly say there is nothing else in town like that.”

Laub added that the successful DJs have brought a lot of attention to Zen Rock because of the atmosphere that they create in the crowd.

“It’s actually the night that carries our entire venue, because usually it’s sold out,” she said. “Upstairs, you’ll have the main DJs like Soo and his crew up here, and then downstairs, you’ll have salsa and mariachi bands.”

A special VIP lounge section is located on the second floor and hash a balcony overlooking the dance floor. Patrons can get access simply by purchasing a bottle at the club, Laub said.
    Soo said the best aspect of Power Saturdays is the full dance floor — the highest compliment a DJ can get.

“I’m the type of DJ that [likes having] people around me,” he said. “I like them all over me, bumping me and everything. I just like to feel that big party atmosphere.