“Greeks meet, talk reform”

It has been a rough semester to be greek.

After the removal of four organizations from campus, leaders of the greek community met in the North Ballroom of the Student Union

Memorial Center Monday to discuss issues facing the entire community.

The “”town hall”” was aimed at focusing on how each individual organization can work to uphold their core values, in hopes of uniting the greek community and positively impacting the campus.

“”We’ve seen a recent trend of incidents regarding sexual assaults, unregistered events and some hazing within our chapters,”” said Director for fraternity and sorority programs Johanne Jensen. “”It’s scary and it needs to change.””

With nearly 50 chapters in the greek community, Jensen said the town hall was a step in addressing issues that organizations need to improve on.

“”This is not what our community is about,”” Jensen said. “”We believe in greek life and we can correct these issues.””

“”There is a need for cultural shift in the greek community,”” Panhellenic Council president Dani Loversky said.

Veda Kowalski, Associate dean of students, discussed the “”troubling”” trends that have been reported and investigated through her office in the past year.

“”When we hear about things that are happening that are putting students at risk, we must respond,”” Kowalski said. “”Sometimes when we have to make a decision, it is because behavior is so at risk and a loss of chapter recognition is the safest decision to make.””

Currently there are five greek organizations on activities suspension, Jensen said.

UAPD Commander Bob Sommerfeld spoke to dispel any rumors that UAPD is not in favor of the greek community.

“”We want the greeks here on the university,”” Sommerfeld said. “”Greeks bring great things, great people, philanthropy, business connections, and more.””

Sommerfeld said he has attended meetings with the Dean of Students Office and Greek Life to discuss how the university will resolve these issues.

“”We need some policies, rules and procedures to help,”” Sommerfeld said. “”Unfortunately, people are not using morals, ethics and values to do the right thing.””

Jensen said it is important for greek organizations to present a good image to the campus community.

“”All they see are the letters,”” she said. “”We all need to play a role in living up to the values we all say we do.””

Following the meeting, some students felt their concerns were not properly addressed.

“”It seemed like the answers addressed by the dean and UAPD were not the answers students wanted to hear,”” said political science junior Tyler Michalowski. “”The change is going to come within the greek community itself.””

Michalowski said he hopes members will go to the IFC and Panhellenic presidents first when issues arise before investigations begin in the Dean of Students office.

Speakers at the meeting encouraged all the chapter leaders to bring the message back to their organization in hopes to increase communication throughout the leadership and addressing problematic issues.

“”In all councils, there have been accounts of hazing, assaults and unregistered events,””

Loversky said. “”Although some councils aren’t all as big as others, it still reflects back to greek life as a whole. We are all greek together.””