Plentiful art in unique forms

Alexandra Fisher and Kevin Johnson not only create their own artwork, but they use fashion as an artwork medium with their clothing line, Clamdiggin. Their designs will be on display at the Museum of Contemporary Art starting Saturday from 5-7 p.m.

Art and fashion will collide next week to prove that everything in nature surrounding human civilization is “”plenty.””

Starting Saturday, the Museum of Contemporary Art will host “”PLENTY,”” a showcase of artwork by Clamdiggin, a semi-local company that prides itself on producing “”back to the basics”” types of art, said Alexandra Fisher, co-owner of Clamdiggin.

“”The show is inspired by the idea that everything around you is plenty,”” Fisher said. “”We have found so many things with this show that prove that.””

In addition to different art forms, various Tucson cakes will be featured.

“”I know two girls who are getting married and were really excited when I told them that we would be featuring cakes from around the city. They were all, ‘Maybe I will find my wedding cake,’ “” Fisher said. “”It proves the point and is like killing seven birds with one stone, even though that phrase is a little outdated now.””

“”PLENTY”” will be presented as photographs, T-shirts, floor mats and oversized tote bags as art pieces. These various pieces will be shown as both a viewing and shopping experience. Fisher and Kevin Johnson started Clamdiggin in hopes of celebrating everyday beauty through books, drawings, photographs and fashion.

The work they create addresses environment and how you live your life in contemporary society without compromising that.

Lissa Gibbs, MOCA associate director

“”Alexandra and Kevin represent a wave of hip, interesting people coming to Tucson,”” said Lissa Gibbs, MOCA associate director. “”They are hip and cool without being annoying. The work they create addresses environment and how you live your life in contemporary society without compromising that. It’s a celebration of everyday life.””

Clamdiggin also tries to mix “”high fashion and philanthropy,”” Fisher said. The totes and mats that will be showcased and sold at fair trade prices are made by citizens in Mexico.

“”I’m not talking about uneducated people here,”” Fisher said. “”They aren’t impoverished and struggling, though it’s great to help those people. They are just like you and me and they want to make cool, super-cute stuff.””

Some of the products being showcased are also eco-friendly.

“”The mats are made out of recycled plastic bags,”” Fisher said. “”They are meant to appeal to people who want something fun and also want something well-made. They aren’t your average Costco purchase.””

The event takes place at MOCA, 174 E. Toole Ave., and will begin Saturday with a “”Cake and Champagne Opening”” from 5-7 p.m., which will showcase members of the Tucson baking community. It ends Sept. 8 with the “”Tea and Plenty”” closing party from 3-5 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, call 624-5019.