Police Beat

A professor in the political science department was pulled over, at 10:22 a.m. April 18 after a records check on his vehicle revealed the license plate had been reported as stolen.

Once the vehicle was stopped, the officer asked the professor to put his hands out the window and step out of the vehicle. The professor was searched for weapons and patted down, all the while asking why he was getting pulled over.

He was asked to sit on the curb while another officer checked the car for more occupants. Once the vehicle was clear, the officer explained to the professor why he had been pulled over.

The professor told him several times, “”You’re going to owe me a big apology,”” according to reports. He said he was unaware he was displaying a stolen license plate and said the vehicle was not his, but rather belonged to his fiancée.

The plate was removed from the vehicle, and the officer said the plate was most likely switched with that of the actual stolen vehicle. The man settled down and said he understood the officer’s reasoning.

The fiancée said she was unaware of the stolen plate and wished to pursue charges if her original one was found.

An officer responded to Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., at 5:50 a.m. April 18 after hearing that a man had fallen through a glass window.

The officer found the man, who had his arm wrapped in a towel, outside the building with a woman. There was blood on his arm and on the ground around him.

He said he had slipped on a linoleum floor and his arm went through a glass window on a door. He said the cut went deep enough to hit the artery, and the officer helped him place pressure on it until an ambulance arrived.

The man was transported to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., and the officer went to check out the broken glass on the fourth floor. From the hole in the glass and the distance it traveled, it appeared to the officer that the man may have punched the glass instead of fallen into it.

The woman who had been with the man said they had had a verbal argument and the man had punched the window. At UMC, the man said he had punched the window because he was mad and “”out of it,”” according to reports.

He apologized to the officer for lying and was arrested for criminal damage.

Someone reported an intoxicated male student harassing a female student in Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall, 610 N. Highland Ave., at 9:05 p.m. April 18.

An officer responded to the room where the incident was said to be taking place and heard a man yelling and a woman crying inside. The female student, who looked scared, opened the door and told the officer the male student was her friend and he was drunk.

The male student was still yelling and wobbling back and forth when the officer asked the female student to step out into the hall. The male student was detained in handcuffs.

The officer escorted him outside and, once he calmed down, went back in to talk to the female student. She said they were supposed to have gone to an event together, but he was obviously too drunk, so she went back to her room and he followed her.

She said he did not hurt her but was being belligerent and yelling in her face. She said she just wanted him to leave and gave the officer all of the male student’s belongings.

The officer gave the male student his shoes, T-shirt and phone and told him that if he came back he would be arrested for trespassing.

Police received another call about a half-hour later saying the male student was in the courtyard of the dorm, yelling and refusing to leave. He left the courtyard running once he spotted patrol cars.

An officer pursued the student on foot and arrested him on the south side of La Paz Residence Hall, adjacent to Graham-Greenlee. The male student was handcuffed, arrested for third-degree trespassing and booked into Pima County Jail.