Police Beat

A woman drove into a construction site at North Park Avenue and East Fourth Street Feb. 25, reports stated.

The woman told police that a male friend of hers had driven her car into the construction site. She said she let him drive her car so he could take her home after she had been drinking with friends at a bar. The woman smelled like alcohol, had red, watery eyes and her speech was slurred.

Her car had been driven through a gate around the construction site and stopped when it hit a three-to four-foot ditch about 20 yards into the site.

The woman said she didn’t know how the truck had gotten there because she closed her eyes while she was in the car. She told police she asked her friend how the car had gotten there, but later she said he wasn’t there when she woke up. She also said she exited from the passenger’s side, where she had been sitting.

Some students heard the car crash and went to the scene. The student who first arrived said the woman was the only person in the car, and he saw her exit through the driver’s side.

The woman’s statements were inconsistent, and police believed she drove the car into the construction site.

Police had blood samples taken from the woman for evidence in case charges are brought against her.

An unidentified man repeatedly called a student’s cell phone and said he wanted to “”hand with her”” Feb. 25, reports stated.

The student said the calls took place between 1-3:45 p.m. The caller would not identify himself, and she refused to talk with him.

At one point, the caller said he was outside of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., where she lived. A few minutes later, she heard a knock on her door, but she didn’t answer the door and was unable to see who was at the door because a mirror blocked the peephole.

A police officer called the phone number the man had called from and asked why he was calling the student.

The man replied that the officer had the wrong number and hung up. The officer called back and left a message asking the man to contact police.

A student was cited for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at Coronado Residence Hall at 3:46 p.m. Feb. 24, reports stated.

A resident assistant reported smelling marijuana in the hall coming from the room. Police went to the room and told the student they smelled marijuana in the room and told the student to give them the marijuana.

The student said, “”OK, I’ve never been in trouble before.””

He gave police a small bottle containing three or four “”wads”” of marijuana.

The student told police he smoked marijuana before but never in his room. Police also saw rolling papers on the student’s desk, and the student said they belonged to him.

He was cited and released.

Police found graffiti on the top level of Highland Avenue Parking Garage, 1240 N. Highland Ave., and the Sixth Street parking garage, 1201 E. Sixth St., Feb. 24.

The graffiti was multi-colored and accented with different colors. Phrases including “”leaf,”” “”cash,”” “”bitches and hoes,”” “”peace and love”” and “”suck my dick,”” were painted on the walls and floors of the garage’s top level.

The graffiti at the Highland Avenue garage was painted sometime between 1:35 p.m. and 10:17 p.m.

A resident assistant and two students were cited for underage drinking at Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., Feb. 23, reports stated.

Three students were drinking in a room in the residence hall for about an hour before police arrived at the room at 11:36 p.m., one of the residents said.

Two of the students, including the resident, were under 21 and were cited for underage drinking. The room’s resident also showed police the alcohol he had in his refrigerator, including two bottles of wine, a bottle of gin, a bottle of whiskey and some beers. He was also cited for possession of alcohol.

While police were in the room they received a call to the room next door. Two students were drinking in that room, including a resident assistant.

The resident assistant was underage and said he had a “”gulp”” of beer that belonged to the resident. He was cited for underage drinking.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu