Man believed to have fatally shot girlfriend then self in Roy area Sunday

A 56-year-old man shot and killed his 46-year-old girlfriend at their home outside Roy on Sunday before turning the gun on himself, Pierce County sheriff’s deputies said.

The homicide-suicide occurred about 1 p.m. in the 4100 block of Highway 702 East, sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said. No clear motive emerged in investigations Sunday, he said.

It was the second slaying in the rural area over the weekend.

Four children ranging in age from 10 to 15 were present during the shooting Sunday but in a different part of the home. Three belonged to the couple while a fourth was a visiting friend.

The couple’s 11-year-old daughter called police.

“”At this point, we don’t believe any of them saw it, but they heard the shots,”” Troyer said.

Detectives are interviewing the children to determine what led to the shooting. Medical investigators have not yet identified the man or the woman, Troyer said.

The couple were dog breeders and had more than 75 dogs on the property, he said.

The children were in sheriff’s custody Sunday evening as other family members were being contacted.

On Friday, a woman was arrested on suspicion of fatally shooting her 51-year-old boyfriend in Roy. That slaying happened in the 32300 block of 68th Avenue South, after a domestic dispute, Troyer said.

The man has been identified as Curtis Giffin, according to the Pierce County Medical Examiner.

The woman, in her 40s, was booked into Pierce County Jail on suspicion of homicide, Troyer said, with bail set at $250,000.

Her adult daughter called 911 about 9:10 p.m. to report the shooting. Another daughter, 13, was also in the home.