Best of 2010: A Personal List

The end of 2010 is three weeks away, but I still haven’t been able to read, watch and listen to everything I wanted to this year. So consider what follows to be an incomplete list of highlights from 2010 and thus subject to change after New Year’s Eve.

Movies

“”The Tijuana Project,”” “”Ana’s Playground”” and “”Celestial Avenue”” were shown at The Screening Room as part of the Arizona International Film Festival, and they were among the best films I’ve seen this year. “”Inception”” demonstrated that a movie, even a big-budget summer blockbuster, doesn’t have to eschew a smart plot in order to achieve success.

TV

We are spoiled with riches when it comes to TV. The premiere of “”The Walking Dead”” proved that there’s still life, so to speak, in exploring the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. “”White Collar”” oozed with style and fun as Matt Bomer’s suave, convicted con artist Neal Caffrey matches wits with criminals and his FBI handler, Tim DeKay’s Agent Peter Burke. Although I came late to it, the latest season of “”Mad Men”” is just great. After a wobbly second half in its first season, “”Glee”” returned this fall with a confidence that matched its popularity. “”Modern Family”” surprised me in that its faux documentary approach masks a sharp, satirical look at what it means to be an American family today.

Music

Some of the best songs successfully mixed excavations into the past and imagined excursions into the future. Big Boi’s “”Shutterbugg”” throws in references to the Wu-Tang Clan and Soul II Soul on top of an addictive chorus crammed with synths and talk box work à la Roger Troutman. Robyn’s “”Indestructible”” is perfect. Just go find it on YouTube or Soundcloud. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists had a great album, The Brutalist Bricks, and a great concert in Tucson to match. Only they could pull off a song like “”Bottled in Cork,”” which opens with a line about a United Nations resolution and ends with the line, “”Tell the bartender, I think I’m falling in love.””

Other songs worth checking out: “”How I Got Over”” by The Roots featuring Dice Raw; “”In the Dirt”” by S. Carey; “”Stop the Music (Justus Köhncke, Kompakt remix)”” by The Pipettes; “”Bloodbuzz Ohio”” by The National; “”Woah Billy!”” by Lucky Soul; “”Pow Pow”” by LCD Soundsystem; “”Tightrope”” by Janelle Monae featuring Big Boi; All Day by Girl Talk; “”I Want You”” by Cee-Lo Green.

Comic books

Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee surprised me with their lighthearted take of the Asgardian god of thunder in “”Thor: the Mighty Avenger.”” Grant Morrison doesn’t hold back on the ideas on Batman, which finds Bruce Wayne turning his personal crusade into a global crime fighting syndicate. In spite of delays, J. Michael Straczynski’s take on Superman in “”Grounded”” is a welcome look at the man wearing the cape as he begins a walking tour in order to get perspective on his life. While it didn’t do well at the box office, the final volume of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s “”Scott Pilgrim”” proved to be a great ending and featured a newcomer from the UA, Aaron Ancheta. John Layman and Rob Guillory continued to impress with “”Chew,”” especially with their very special Thanksgiving chapter.

What were some of your highlights of 2010? I look forward to reading your suggestions in the comments below.