Police Beat: February 22

Where’s Waldo?

Two men, one wearing blue Hawaiian shirt and the other wearing a red beret described as “Waldo,” assaulted a UA student in Coronado Residence Hall, before fleeing the scene at 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 15.

The University of Arizona Police Department responded to the dorm in reference to a fight in progress. Upon arrival, UAPD didn’t observe the fight, but an officer was already on the scene talking with the student outside, whose forehead was bleeding.

Police then spoke with two witnesses, both women, who observed the incident.

They stated that the subject in the red beret punched the student in the face, who then fell to the ground, before the men began kicking the student.

One of the women then ran to the group of men to intervene and break-up the fight, before both fled toward Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. One of the women described the man in the beret as “Waldo,” from the popular children’s book.

The student involved in the altercation said it began when the two men began to “speak ill” of the Delta Chi fraternity, for which he is a member.

The student was unsure if he’d be able to identify the two men or if they were involved in Greek Life, but he did not wish to pursue criminal charges.

Hell’s notice

A threatening remark implying explosives was left on a UA employee’s Dodge Stratus while parked in the Sixth Street Parking Garage on Feb. 18.

The employee saw, “don’t start your car, j/k or am I? 666,” written in dust on his trunk window when he returned to his vehicle at 5:30 p.m.

Due to the dangerous nature of the message the man felt alarmed and called UAPD.

Police responded and checked the undercarriage of the vehicle where nothing unusual was noticed. UAPD then requested the services of an explosive and ordinance device, which a Tucson Fire Department officer brought, in addition to a bomb sniffing dog.

The team determined no explosives were associated with the vehicle and photos of the message were placed into evidence. Police attempted to lift fingerprints from the window, but were unsuccessful in their attempts. The employee declined to pursue charges.

Game over

A UA employee reported $163.62 worth of Purchasing Card fraud from Xbox Live charges in the Chemical Sciences building from Jan. 25.

The woman contacted police on Feb. 18, after Chase Bank contacted her regarding two charges worth $81.81 each from Jan. 25. The woman then advised the bank both were fraudulent.

The card is not to be used for personal use, but solely purchases on equipment in the building, according to the UAPD report.

Besides the woman, two additional individuals have access to the card number. The last purchase from any of the three employees came the day prior to the two Xbox charges. None of the employees had any children or individuals they believed would have made the charges.

The PCard was then closed and the charges were refunded to the UA.