Get on House of Cards’ #FU2016 bandwagon with season four out now

Netflix
    Official promotional poster for House of Cards, season four, released today on Netflix.

Acclaimed political drama and Netflix original series “House of Cards” officially returns Friday.

The end of season three left viewers with a cliffhanger, which revealed that Claire Underwood (Robin Wright) had left her husband, Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey), in the midst of his presidential campaign. Simultaneously, Frank’s chief of staff, Doug Stamper (Michael Kelly), murdered Rachel Posner (Rachel Brosnahan), a former prostitute linked to one of Frank’s season one schemes.

Unlike previous seasons that showcased Claire and Frank manipulating their way to the top of the political system, season three centered around the dissolution of the Underwoods’ marriage. All this while Frank also dealt with opponents during his bid for the presidency. His main adversary was his Democrat primary contestant Heather Dunbar (Elizabeth Marvel).

Many of his former allies, such as previous chief of staff Remy Danton (Mahershala Ali) and House Majority Whip Jackie Sharp (Molly Parker), no longer support Frank after growing tired of his manipulation. Leading up to season four, Frank relied heavily on others to do his dirty work for him. After continually burning bridges left and right, it will be interesting to see how he maneuvers now to fulfill his goals. A key plot line to look out for in season four is who will become Frank’s new political henchman on his path to power.

Many students across the UA are excited for the return of season four. They’ve been eagerly anticipating the Underwoods’ return since season three premiered Feb. 27, 2015.

“I can’t wait for season four for ‘House of Cards,’” said Matthew Rein, a political science freshman. “The show is an absolute masterpiece and it will be a pleasure to see Kevin Spacey resume the role of Frank Underwood for another season. #FU2016.” 

The #FU2016 Rein mentioned is the marketing strategy for season four of “House of Cards.” Netflix’s marketing team even released an advertisement for Frank Underwood featuring the #FU2016. While Frank’s initials are “FU,” the initials also underscore Frank’s absolute “FU” attitude toward everyone in life. His official campaign video features classic American patriotic symbols including sweeping landscapes, military veterans and the American flag.

While the marketing campaign was a hit, many students watch the show because of the immense entertainment value its corrupt politics offers.

“‘House of Cards’ turns the political system and gives us the real side,” said Marlon Freeman, a freshman studying nutrition and Spanish. “Even though fictional people get caught up in the story, [I] feel like their political twist and turns are actual strategies real political figures use. The show is always entertaining and there is a great balance of drama and politics.” 

Whether you tune in to root for or against Frank, be sure to catch the fourth season of “House of Cards,” available for streaming now on Netflix.

Follow Chloe Durand on Twitter