To get you through your weekend …

Oct. 7

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros is a cultish phenomenon of a folk band. Formed in 2007 by Alex Ebert (of Ima Robot), the band is the product of one man’s existential crisis. Ebert birthed the idea of the band after breaking up with his girlfriend, leaving his former band and going through a 12-step program. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros is made up of about 11 members — sometimes less, sometimes more — who have in their repertoire banjos, guitars, trumpets, pianos, ukuleles and even fiddles. Their sound and style harkens back to the gritty, folksy, free love attitude that colored the communal music groups of 1960s California.

Rialto Theatre

318 E. Congress St.

8 p.m. showtime, $21

First Thursday Art Walk

On the first Thursday of the month, Main Gate Square presents First Thursday Art Walk, a free event promoting local arts, sculpture and music. Right on campus, this event is for students to explore the culture of Tucson without having to travel far. Businesses along University Boulevard are participating, with live music at Frog & Firkin, an open studio at Ben’s Bells, a wine tasting at Vila Thai Cuisine and chalk art at Gentle Ben’s. This Thursday’s featured artist is photographer Jennie Collins. Get a taste of the personality of Tucson close to home.

Main Gate Square

5 p.m. – 8 p.m., Free admission

Oct. 8

The Rialto Theatre’s 90th Birthday Bash

The Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation presents the Rialto Theatre’s 90th Birthday Bash with a 1920s revivalist red carpet event. The night begins with a Prohibition Parking Lot Cocktail Party, recalling the era of bootleg bars and discreet drinking. Following is a Rancho Tucsonia Fashion Show, featuring Southwestern garb from the 20s to the 40s. The evening comes to a head with a screening of the rare silent film, “”The Mine with the Iron Door,”” premiering at the Rialto. The film was shot in Tucson in 1924. The screening will be accompanied by a live musical score composed by Brian Hollman, a native Tucson conductor, and performed by a live ensemble. This Gatsby-esque gala is a celebration of the Southwest through the ages and the Rialto’s rich history.

The Rialto Theatre

318 E. Congress St.

6:30 p.m. Cocktail Party and Fashion Show for VIPS

8 p.m. Film Screening

$50 VIP tickets/ $20 general admission

Tucson Meet Yourself

The 37th annual Tucson Meet Yourself Festival returns this weekend with three days of folk art, cultural traditions of the Southwest, performances and food. TMY is one of the most cherished and acclaimed festivals of Tucson, offering a three-day snapshot of the rich diversity of our city. This year’s festival is expected to attract an unprecedented amount of Tucsonans, so TMY had expanded their festival all throughout downtown, with six pavilions for storytelling, crafts, entertainment and vendors. Come support local folk art and tradition at this beloved multicultural event that has become a part of Tucson’s identity.

Downtown Tucson

11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Free

Oct. 9

Family Weekend Barbecue

Come celebrate UA football in the Family Weekend Barbecue after the Arizona vs. Oregon game. Win or lose, this event on the UA Mall is sure to rouse the school spirit of students and families alike. Join a community of athletes, cheerleaders, athletic directors and more for a night of food, give-away prizes and a fireworks show to end a day of football festivities.

UA Mall

7 p.m., $15 adult, $5 students

Oct. 10

Tucson Nightfall’s 20 Years of Terror

Nightfall returns this October for a month of freakish and horrific events. With four haunts this year and a schedule of live shows, Nightfall lives up to its spot on the Hauntworld’s top 10 amusement park Halloween events. This year’s celebration of all things creepy includes Death Row, the Inferno, the Iron Door Mine and the Hollywood Horror Train — four different haunts guaranteed to elicit blood-curdling screams. Get into the Halloween spirit early!

Old Tucson Studios

201 S. Kinney Rd.

6 p.m. – 10 p.m., $25