FLOYD STAYS AT USC

Tim Floyd
    Tim Floyd

Tim Floyd will remain head coach of the USC Trojans, he told members of the Los Angeles media Thursday afternoon.

Floyd’s decision comes after he met UA athletic director Jim Livengood in Tucson yesterday afternoon.

Livengood must now continue his search for Arizona’s next basketball coach.

“”I listened and I heard what they had to say, but there is really special about building your own traditions and own history,”” Floyd told reporters.

“”I viewed it as an elite program in this country. And I was really interested in what constituted it as an elite program.

“”This will be the last time I look unless the administration gets tired of me,”” he said.

Multiple reports Thursday claimed Floyd was a leading candidate for the Memphis job. Floyd said he knew Memphis was interested in him, but they never offered Floyd the job.

After turning down the Louisiana State job last season, Floyd restated that USC “”is still my last job.””

According to The Associated Press, Floyd has three years remaining on his contact with USC, and said, “”Hopefully, they’ll add a year or two. That would be great.””

Added USC athletic director Mike Garrett in a statement: “”The future is very bright here under Tim’s direction. We talked today and we expressed our commitment to each other. We are both excited about our prospects for next season, especially if we have the team we think we’ll have.””

Floyd met with UA athletic director Jim Livengood in Tucson on Wednesday afternoon regarding Arizona’s coaching vacancy.

Floyd arrived at Tucson International Airport on a private plane from Santa Monica, Calif., at 2 p.m. After meeting with Livengood at an undisclosed location, he departed back to California around 7 p.m.

No deal, however, was finalized in that initial meeting.

Stay with DailyWildcat.com for coverage throughout the day from McKale Center