Theft charges to drop if former IFC president completes diversion

Former Interfraternity Council president Robert Medler pleaded guilty to theft in Pima County Superior Court Sept. 6, according to court documents.

Medler has agreed to participate in a diversion program, and charges will be dismissed upon his successful completion of the program.

Between March 10 and June 15 Medler spent more than $ 18,000 in purchases and withdrawals to a credit card issued to him by the council.

The unauthorized withdrawals were found on a bank statement June 20 by IFC Treasurer Scott Niedergang. Niedergang and Greek Life coordinator Gary Ballinger reported the activity to the University of Arizona Police Department June 28, according to the warrant return filed July 10.

Participation in the adult diversion program lasts between 18 to 24 months and will require Medler to submit random drug and alcohol tests, perform community service and pay fees associated with the program. Medler will also have to make restitution, according to court documents.

“”He seems to be following the right steps,”” said Ballinger.

Greek Life and the IFC have discussed changes that will be made to the way the organizations handles its finances.

Chad Secwelo has become the new IFC president. The vice president position is currently empty.

Secwelo said the IFC is going to make sure something like this does not happen again. The IFC has made decisions concerning the matter, however, Secwelo said they would be kept between the board members for now.

Medler admitted to a detective that the personal purchases made to the card started to “”snowball”” after he used the card accidentally the first time. He admitted that he knew the unauthorized use of the account was wrong, which led him to “”cut the card up”” near the end of June, court records stated.

Credit cards are issued to the new president and treasurer annually in December. The IFC does not administer official training on use of the cards when they are given to the holder, but Niedergang said that it is common sense that they are not for personal use, according to court records.

Some of the purchases that Medler made included camping equipment, mountaineering gear and a $1,500 laptop, according to court records.