Police Beat

Apparently, urination is littering

A man was diverted to the Dean of Students Office on April 17 at 2:02 a.m.

Police responded to 1852 E. 1st St. in reference to a man urinating in public. When they arrived they made contact with a person who said that a man had stood next to him and begun urinating. Police made contact with the man, who admitted to urinating. He was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for criminal littering. Police told him that if he was caught urinating in public again he could be arrested. The man was released on scene.

Sake bombs, fake ID earn woman citation

A woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol and having a fictitious driver’s license.

Police responded to the Coronado dorm in reference to a semi-conscious woman in the stairwell. When they arrived, they made contact with the resident assistant on duty, who took them to the stairwell. Police made contact with the woman. She pulled out her purse and gave police her driver’s license. While she was doing this they noticed another license in her wallet. She told them that was her “”other”” license. The second license had a birth date that made the woman over 21 years old.

The woman had bloodshot, watery eyes, a flushed face and smelled strongly of intoxicants. She told police that she drank approximately five or six sake bombs. After she was finished drinking she took a cab to Coronado. She then started walking up the stairs to get to her room, but then decided to sit on the stairs. She remained there until an RA found her.

Tucson Fire Department arrived shortly after to check the woman’s health. She refused to be taken to University Medical Center, so TFD said as long as she had someone “”keep an eye”” on her, she would not need to be transported. The woman said that her roommate would watch out for her. When questioned about her fake ID, the woman said that all she knew was that it cost her $180, and she refused to answer any other questions about it.

The woman was cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol and possession of a fictitious license. She was also referred to the Dean of Students and then released on scene.

Intoxication doesn’t count as blue light emergency

Two men were cited on April 18 at 11:16 p.m. on different charges.

At 10:29 p.m., police responded to several UA Emergency Blue Light phones after they were set off. When they got to the areas, police found no emergencies and no people. While searching the areas, an officer saw two men near the phones and stopped them on Vine Avenue and Adams Street.

Officers separated the two men and began to question them. The first man smelled of intoxicants. He told the officer that he did not push any emergency buttons. The man said that he was coming from his cousin’s house on Adams Street when he met with the other man. He was not sure if the other man had pushed the phone buttons or not.

The other man told officers that he did press the buttons, but he did not have an emergency to report. He also smelled of intoxicants.

Both men were given breathalyzers, which showed that they had alcohol in their systems. Both were cited and released for being minors in possession of alcohol. The second man was also cited for false reporting to law enforcement.

Dope-using dudes diverted to Dean

Three men were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana on April 18 at 10:27 p.m.

Police responded to the Sky View Apartments in reference to people possibly smoking marijuana. When they arrived the RAs took them to the room the odor was coming from. The officer noted that the smell was faint in the hallway. The officer knocked on the door and reported that as soon as it was opened the odor of marijuana became strong.

The officer asked the man who answered the door if they had been smoking marijuana in the room. All three men who were there said yes. They admitted that there was a little bit left in the room and gave it to the officer. They also gave police a grinder, which had a small amount of marijuana in it.

The three men were diverted to the Dean of Students Office. The marijuana and grinder were confiscated.

Olde English in public means Olde-school arrest

A man was arrested for drinking alcohol in public on April 18 at 7:07 p.m.

While driving by a Safeway store on Broadway Boulevard, an officer noticed a man drinking a 40-ounce bottle of Olde English Malt Liquor while sitting next to the building. The officer made contact with the man and saw that the bottle was about two-thirds full.

A records check of the man’s name showed that he had a warrant out for his arrest from the University of Arizona Police Department and the Tucson Police Department. Both warrants were confirmed and the man was arrested and taken to the Pima County Adult Detention Center where he was booked for drinking alcohol in public and for his warrants.