Final senate meeting revises treasurer stipend

From the left, Executive Vice President Jessica Anderson, a marketing senior, and Sen. Emily Fritze, a political science sophomore, laugh as Sen. Stephen Wallace, a pre-physiology sophomore, reflects on memories of the year during the last official ASUA senate meeting in the Tubac Room on Wednesday.

In their last senate meeting of the year, ASUA chose to revisit the stipend of the student government’s treasurer.

The senate raised the yet-to-be-appointed treasurer’s stipend from $2,500 to $3,000 after choosing to re-vote on the item that originated in the April 15 Associated Students of the University of Arizona meeting.

The senate had chosen to lower the treasurer’s stipend from $3,000 to $2,500 after discussion of pay for appointed officials in last week’s meeting.

Sen. Jason Mighdoll told his peers that the treasurer’s standing as an appointed position – rather than an elected one – justified the original lowering of the stipend, especially in a time of financial uncertainty.

“”I still think $2,500 is more appropriate … Again, it’s not an elected position,”” Mighdoll said. “”That doesn’t make it any less valuable.””

Because of the treasurer’s sizeable financial responsibilities, a $3,000 stipend would be appropriate for the position, said Sen. Andre Rubio.

“”That’s a lot of transactions, considering the amount of work that we all do,”” he said. “”I feel like we’d just be cutting it $125 each semester, and I don’t really think it’s worth it.””

When president-elect Chris Nagata appoints the next treasurer within a week, the new official will come into the position with added office hours and responsibilities that fit with Nagata’s vision for the future, he said.

Such added responsibilities include actively seeking out business partnerships, sponsorships and fundraising opportunities “”to hopefully bring in more dollars into the office that we can in turn use and provide back to the students via programs and services,”” Nagata said.

“”I’m just thankful that the senators have provided me with the resources and support for me to go forth with the vision I have for the treasurer,”” he said. “”I know that after a year’s time, we can look back and say we made the right decision today.””

Senators share tearful goodbyes

After regular business had been tended to in last night’s final ASUA meeting of the school year, senators and executives alike clutched tissues as they said goodbye and shared personal stories.

“”It’s a very odd feeling. Wednesdays at 5 have been my life for four years,”” said ASUA President Tommy Bruce, who will graduate in May after serving two presidential terms. “”We’re never going to make everybody happy. We’re never going to do everything right. But we can always try our best, and I know looking back that I’ve tried my hardest.””

Jessica Anderson has held the position of executive vice president for two years and said she will take her experiences with her to Seattle as she fulfills a career opportunity with Microsoft.

“”I think I know that I’m to be … in the higher education realm again at some point,”” Anderson said. “”I’m so excited to begin a professional life in the business world, but there are also some things I really value about higher education.””

“”It’s astounding to see that each senator has grown not only as a person, but also as a politician,”” Sen. Matthew Ellis said. “”The students of this university are lucky to have such a caring group of people to represent them.””