Brazilian festival to ‘get you moving’

You may not have noticed its arrival, but Tucson’s first-ever Brazilian Week (Semana Brasileira) is already approaching its festive finale. Tucson’s Brazilian community spent this week showcasing Brazilian film, cuisine, dance and especially music in honor of Brazilian Independence Day, which is Sep. 7. But the party wont truly begin until Saturday night when Hotel Congress hosts the gala Brazilian Independence Carnaval.

“”The music will get you moving,”” said Bill Martinez, co-leader and percussionist for SambalanÇõo, Tucson’s masters of Brazilian rhythm. “”[Brazilian music] has that up-beat … You can’t hold back!””

SambalanÇõo is currently composed of nine members, but will be performing on Saturday with special guest Ari Corales Dos Santos, a renowned percussionist from Sao Paulo City.

“”[Corales] is an amazing … percussionist, and he’s also a professor at a couple universities in Sao Paulo, so he knows his stuff, man”” said Martinez, who has taken lessons with Corales in the past and is excited to be playing with him onstage for the first time.

Saturday also marks the first time that Carnaval will be held at Hotel Congress, as opposed to its usual venue, El Parador.

At Congress, Carnaval is a 21 and older event, beginning at 8 p.m. and lasting until the hotel closes at 2 a.m., or whenever the last revelers keel over from exhaustion on the dance floor. Tickets are available in advance for $10 or $15 at the door, and there’s a $5 discount if you’re wearing a costume. Proceeds will support the Reveille Men’s Chorus, an organization known both for their musical talents and worldwide humanitarian efforts.

So instead of doing keg-stands in the basement of some frat house this Saturday, try getting in touch with your inner Brazilian and check out Hotel Congress’ first annual Carnaval celebration.

Slutes speaks the truth when he says: “”There’s never a time when Brazilian music doesn’t sound fantasticlive, it’s just unbelievable.””