Couture to campus: fall fashions on University Blvd.

Fall+Fashion
    Fall Fashion

This fall, ‘70s-style clothing mounts a street fashion comeback.

Flared pants, lace apparel, chunky heels and floppy hats are gracing the pages of magazine spreads and are taking over the stores.

Try walking past any fashion boutique or department store without spotting classic ‘70s colors — it’s hard. A palette of autumn orange tones, neutral browns, yellows and bold, bright accents are found in this season’s greatest finds.

Some of us are fortunate enough to raid our mother’s wardrobe from the ‘70s, but for most, it’s much more convenient to just make a trip down to University Boulevard.

Collette, Pitaya and Urban Outfitters carry some of the most flattering fall looks prime to add to our collective campus closet this season.

Ooh la lace

This fall, it’s smart to invest in a feminine lace piece. The trend has appeared all over shoes, dresses and tops. It’s also a timeless fabric that can work as a for-sure staple item in a wardrobe.

Collette, at Main Gate Square has a beautiful A-line sleeved dress for $128 by Free People … and it’s worth the buy. This vintage-inspired lace piece can be dressed up and accessorized for any season. Its cream-colored material can be paired with tights and ankle boots in the fall and worn again in the spring with chunky platform sandals and statement jewelry.

“I love it (lace),” said Amy Jesionowski, the co-owner and manager at Collette. “I think it’s kind of romantic. I think it’s feminine.”

This lace number also stands out on its own as a ladylike, fashion-forward dress. Some of the most stylish lace dresses have been seen on fashionistas like Sarah Jessica Parker and Rachel Bilson.

Business professional to casual college student

Blazers in the ‘70s were known for having puffed or structured shoulders. The newest look trending in blazers right now is the cuffed, quarter-sleeve style. This $46 black Monteau blazer from Collette has a pale blue, striped pattern on its lining. Cuffed sleeves show off the inside fabric, which is usually seen in a silky material.

“Blazers are so classic,” Jesionowski said. “The men’s tailored look is ‘in’ too.”

What’s great about blazers is they are versatile. It’s easy to go from a professional look at work or an internship and easily switch into something more casual for classes.

“You can always throw it over a pair of jeans and it looks cute,” Jesionowski said.

For a more business look, blazers complement silky loose blouses and pencil skirts.

High-waisted pants and elegant hats

Flared pants are a definite fashion do — at least this season. This pair of tan-colored pants from Pitaya can also be found in black for $22. The fabric flows over the body and slims any figure.

To really go all out, pair these pants with an Annie Hall-inspired floppy hat for a true ‘70s comeback outfit. It’s easy to find these elegant hats in a variety of colors at Urban Outfitters. It’s a great way to finish off an outfit and show some confidence.

Lately, Blake Lively has been rocking both of these trends on the set of “Gossip Girl,” and so can any campus fashionista.

“I feel like a lot of our stuff is going toward that style right now,” said Lizzie Wise, the manager at Pitaya.

Wise added that a lot of people are trying on flared pants and ‘70s-inspired clothing in the store, but they are still trying to get used to the style.

“If it wasn’t in style,” Wise said, “we wouldn’t have it.”

But remember to pair any good ‘70s piece with something chic and out-of-the-ordinary once in a while, even if no one else on campus is wearing that style yet. Some of the greatest trends start from just one person’s unique fashion sense.