Bruce elected prez

Incoming ASUA President Tommy Bruce is congratulated by outgoing President Erin Hertzog just after the results of the election were announced. Bruce defeated opponent Brad Wulff by less than 90 votes.

The leadership of next year’s ASUA was decided on the edge of a razor, as several positions were decided by fewer than a hundred votes.

Tommy Bruce was elected the new Associated Students of the University of Arizona president, beating Brad Wulff by 85 votes.

“”It means the world to me,”” Bruce said. “”I’m so excited.””

Bruce, a sophomore and the youngest person ever to be elected ASUA president, fell short of Wulff in the primaries, when Wulff had 14 percent more votes. Last night’s results were a surprise to many.

Jared Cohen, a newly elected senator who campaigned with Wulff, said he was shocked.

“”It’s unbelievable how close that was,”” Cohen said.

Wulff congratulated Bruce with a hug, then returned to speak with his supporters and thank them for their help during the last few weeks.

“”I just had a blast campaigning, but I’m glad it’s over,”” Wulff said. “”I’m definitely going to stay involved, I just have to figure out where.””

Current ASUA President Erin Hertzog said hearing the vote tallies was “”bittersweet”” because it signals an end to her year in office, but she is excited about the possibilities of future student leaders.

“”I really believe the students always choose the best, and I just believe in our process,”” Hertzog said.

Jen Dang was elected administrative vice president, receiving just 35 more votes than opponent Amy Adamcin.

Dang fought her way through a crowd of congratulators, smiling excitedly, trying to get ahold of friends and family who weren’t at the announcement of the winners.

“”I’m even incapable of working my phone right now,”” Dang said, adding she is excited to learn the ropes of her new position, though she said she’s not going to neglect her current role as ASUA senator.

Adamcin came with her family, who brought her flowers and comforted her after the results were read.

“”It sucks, but I’ll find somewhere else (within ASUA),”” Adamcin said, wiping tears from her face.

Jessica Anderson will become the new executive vice president, defeating opponent Michael Slugocki by a more substantial margin of 812 votes.

Anderson said she was excited to relax and have a fun spring break before getting to work and making the transition to her new role.

Slugocki said he was disappointed, but still plans to stay involved in the organization.

“”I still believe in this university,”” Slugocki said.

Ten senators were elected from a field of 14, with five votes separating Jason Brian Ernst, in 10th place, from Abbas Tuli, who came in 11th.

Dustin Cox, one of the 10 elected, said he was excited, not only because he won, but also because the contest is over. Cox, who ran in a campaign with Bruce, said he was more excited for the presidential results than his own.

“”My God, we pulled Tommy out,”” Cox said. “”That’s amazing.””

David Martinez III, ASUA elections commissioner, said he and his staff have some loose ends to tie up, like making sure candidates’ budgets are within limits and that their fliers and posters come down.

Total votes for this year’s election were 3,967, the fifth highest in 20 years, but fewer than the previous two years.