Staff picks: A look at some of our favorite eats

Editor’s note: This article was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!  

Kababeque Indian Grill

Marissa Heffernan

If you take Fourth Avenue and put it on a plate, you would find that order at Lindy’s Diner on 4th. Located at 500 north Fourth Ave., it’s a short streetcar ride away from a good breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

The burgers are eccentric and include the Kush, served with raspberry preserves; The Big Bad Beefy, served with chili, cheddar, chipotle ranch and tater tots; or the Fat Bastard, served with fried egg, bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo, served between two glazed honey buns.

I however prefer to order the Joe Caesar salad with a side of fries. The salad is fine in itself but is topped with homemade croutons that will amaze your tastebuds. The fries are also a great addition for those who are fry fanatics. 

With great music playing as you enjoy your meal, Lindy’s Diner on 4th also has a full bar and features a Burger of the Month. Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday and until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, this eatery has something for everyone. 

It may be a little ride or walk but you can stroll down Fourth Avenue after lunch or dinner and enjoy the downtown Tucson vibes.

Time Market, a grocery store and restaurant located on University Blvd., displays neon signs highlighting their specialty wood fired pizza.

Time Market

Eddie Celaya

I often find going out to eat just isn’t enough. Even if I order dessert, I’m always left wanting. Luckily, Time Market is more than a restaurant. It’s a top-shelf grocery store with fresh produce, bread baked daily and some of the best cheeses and deli meats to pair together for your charcuterie board. 

On top of all that, Time Market is home to my personal favorite pizza: the Bascaiola. Made with fresh mozzarella, juicy fennel sausage, onion and red pepper for some heat; it’s a pizza that requires an appreciation for spice. If it’s the slice of the day, you just hit the jackpot.

The sandwiches are just as good. The Fried Chicken Sandwich (order it Tucson Hot for maximum heat) is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, smothered up in a brioche bun and topped with tomato, slaw and a pickle, of course.

Time Market is located a short walk west on University Boulevard. While it isn’t expensive, it isn’t cheap either; most entrees will run you $10-$12 and pizzas are more. The bar serves coffee, tea and beer and there is free wi-fi available. Open daily, 7 a.m to 10 p.m.

The Buffalo Spot

Cyrus Norcross

Since the opening of The Buffalo Spot this past May, I find myself eating there more than any other restaurant on University Boulevard. 

Its menu includes standalone boneless and traditional wings, chicken tenders, BBQ ribs and salad. What I can’t get enough of: its Buffalo Fries. 

The meal consists of fries topped with boneless buffalo wings drizzled with their warm specialty sauce. The first time I bit into the Buffalo Fries, my world was filled with exhilaration and glee. 

I quickly ordered another small portion of Buffalo Fries and found out: Beer is on tap! The beer on tap is your basic Bud light, Blue Moon,  Four Peaks and a few others to choose from. 

With beer on tap and buffalo wings on point, the atmosphere of the place allows patrons to kick back and enjoy themselves. It’s where I’ll be, and I hope to see you there. I may even order you a beer. 

Mama’s Hawaiian Bar-b-cue

Jasmine Demers

With traditional Hawaiian meals and island-style vibes, Mama’s Hawaiian Bar-b-cue is the ultimate campus area eatery that is sure to satisfy your hunger throughout the semester.

Located on the ground floor of the Hub at 1011 N. Tyndall Ave., Mama’s offers all the best Hawaiian favorites such as spam and eggs, kalua pork and teriyaki chicken. Among my favorites from this island in the desert is the coconut shrimp plate served with white rice and macaroni salad. Made with butterflied shrimp and lightly fried in coconut batter, you can’t go wrong with this delicious comfort food. 

Mama’s doesn’t just serve amazing Hawaiian food, this locally owned eatery creates a welcoming, laid-back atmosphere for all students to enjoy. Open until 3 a.m. every night, Mama’s gives UA students the option to indulge in traditional Hawaiian food, grab a bite with their friends in an awesome island-style atmosphere and refuel after a long night of studying.

Lindy’s Diner on 4th

Pascal Albright

El Charro Café

Alec White

Having rich Mexican roots, Tucson has some well-known Mexican restaurants, none better known than El Charro Café. 

I love Mexican food and I’m always looking for some great tacos or chips and salsa. Of all the places I’ve been to, El Charro has both. 

Located at 311 N. Court Ave., this downtown destination serves up authentic Mexican food ranging from house-made Ceviche to Vegan Tamale Stuffed Mushrooms to Nana’s Breakfast Tacos.

The chips are fresh and the salsa has the perfect spiciness. I usually get the Charro Tacos for my entree and it always has a great flavor. 

Open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. most of the week, this is definitely my go-to Mexican restaurant in town, and it is conveniently located close to campus in the heart of Downtown Tucson. 

Jimmy’s Pita and Poke

David Skinner

I was privileged to live the first ten years of my life in Tokyo, so the combination of raw fish, white sticky rice, spicy mayo and fresh greens instantly sends me back to my childhood. 

Jimmy’s Pita and Poke, located at 175 E. University Blvd., has been serving  breakfast, lunch and dinner to the UA community for 14 years.

It is open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. every day and is my reward meal, cheat meal, stress meal and whenever-I-have-money meal. 

I try to go there as much as I can just to get a taste of those Pacific rim memories. If you’re not as nostalgic as I am, but you’re looking for fresh fish and healthy food, then you’ve found what your stomach has been yearning for.

Signature Pitas include the Dirty Bird Pita, Chyro Pita, Cajun Chicken Pita and the Wildcat Pita. Poke bowls include the Regular Bowl, Chicken and Steak Combo and the Steak Bowl. 

Jimmy’s Pita and Poke will not only open you with welcome arms, but fill those arms with hunks of meaty fish. Take a trip, then thank me.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter