Fashion’s Night Out hits Tucson

Arizona seems a world away from the glamour of the New York, Paris or London fashion scenes, so when many people think fashion, it’s not surprising that Tucson does not spring to their minds.

But for years, work by local designers has earned Tucson some fashion cred in the Southwest. Fashion lovers are continuing that effort with Fashion’s Night Out.

La Encantada and Paula Taylor Productions are bringing Fashion’s Night Out to Tucson for the first time this Thursday. Fashion’s Night Out is an event celebrated in nearly every fashion capital of the world. From Manhattan to Milan, shoppers, designers and stores come together every year and host an event to ring in Fashion Week.

“Since La Encantada is the lifestyle center, its stores were independently doing their own thing for Fashion’s Night Out,” said Paula Taylor, owner of Paula Taylor Productions, a fashion show production company. “The marketing director decided that La Encantada should have their own Fashion’s Night Out, and then they contacted me to bring fashion beyond the retailers.”

The event will feature several deals and gifts provided by the stores and boutiques at La Encantada, food, live music, entertainment and an exclusive preview of upcoming fall fashions. Participating retailers include Pour Moi Boutique, Francesca’s Collections, White House/Black Market and Bebe.

The evening will also feature a section called “shop local,” which will highlight eight Tucson retailers hosting giveaways and special shopping deals, serving refreshments and offering a look at their fall collections.

Among the retailers is Elizabeth Albert, founder and designer of Siobhan Clothing. Albert said she will offer 20 percent off her clothing and will have refreshments available.

“I think it is an honor to be part of Fashion’s Night Out and it’s really cool. It’s just rad,” Albert said. “I remember last year watching Fashion’s Night Out on TV and thinking ‘God, that’s so cool, I wish someone would do that here.’ Now Tucson did and I am just really excited.”

Organizers like Taylor at La Encantada said they are striving to ensure that the premiere of Tucson’s Fashion’s Night Out is unique and lives up to expectation.

“It is more of a fashion exhibit than a fashion show,” Taylor said. She pointed to the unique display for models of the local designers’ and retailers’ collections as some of the night’s special features.

Along with the fashion exhibit, the event includes wine and cosmopolitan tastings, a Photo Fun Booth, and the grand opening of Fringe Hair Studios in La Encantada.