Police Beat

An employee reported receiving an offensive letter at 4 p.m. Monday at his office in the Family and Consumer Resources building, 1110 E. South Campus Drive, reports stated.

The employee told police he had been away from his office during the summer and had received a large amount of mail.

The letter was postmarked July 10 and addressed to the employee at his campus P.O. Box, reports stated. The return address read: “”Someone who cares about you and your class.””

Inside the envelope was a newspaper clipping about the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus, reports stated.

The picture showed several men standing with their backs to the camera and seven men facing the camera, reports stated. The article stated only seven men were still alive out of the total number of members.

The sender had written “”121 total men – 7 alive = 114 dead or 94% dead”” at the top of the clipping, reports stated.

Attached to the bottom of the clipping was a note that read, “”For good health and long life, your students need to know this. Thank You,”” reports stated.

The employee told police he was in fact gay and found the letter to be offensive and considered it a form of harassment.

The employee said he hadn’t had any recent problems with a staff member or student and had no suspects, reports stated.

Police took the clipping and envelope to check for fingerprints.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

A man was arrested on charges of having an open container of alcohol in his truck at 1:31 a.m. Monday after police pulled him over for having unlit taillights, reports stated.

Police stopped the man near North Campbell Avenue and East Mabel Street.

The man told police the truck belonged to the company he works for, and he was aware of the problem with the taillights, reports stated.

When police asked for the registration and insurance, the passenger opened the glove box and police saw a 40-ounce bottle of beer without the cap lying on its side, reports stated. The bottle was half full and beer was spilling out.

Police asked the men if they had been drinking while driving, and they answered no, reports stated. The passenger said the beer had already been in the glove box when they got inside the truck.

The driver handed the officer the registration, which was soaked with beer, reports stated.

Police asked all three men to exit the truck and saw a 12-pack of beer on the passenger side floorboard.

One beer was missing from the 12-pack and was found behind the backseat with two-thirds of beer left, reports stated.

A records check showed the driver’s license was suspended for failing to appear in court, reports stated.

The truck was towed, and the driver was cited for driving on a suspended license and for an alcohol violation and released, reports stated.

A valve cap was noticed missing from a dry stand pipe east of the Maroney Theater, 1025 N. Olive Road, at 10:20 p.m. Monday, reports stated.

The value of the valve cap is unknown, and there was no information on how long it had been missing, reports stated.

A custodian reported finding a purse at 6:30 a.m. Monday while cleaning a men’s restroom in the UA Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., reports stated.

The custodian told police she found the purse at the bottom of the trash while she was emptying it.

The purse, which contained a wallet, was placed into property by police for safekeeping, reports stated.

Police called the owner and left a message telling her the purse had been found.

It appeared someone might have gone through the wallet because there were no credit cards inside and because it was found in the trash, reports stated.

A bike helmet was found at 4:15 p.m. Monday in the northeast exterior stairwell of Yuma Residence Hall, 1107 E. James E. Rogers Way, reports stated.

Next to the helmet was a cable lock that had been cut, reports stated.

Police placed both items into property for safekeeping, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Records. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resumǸ can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.